Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid dripping behind front wheel arch (LHD)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Liquid dripping behind front wheel arch (LHD)

Ciao,
I know that the title looks a little catastrophic but I did not know how to summarize it.
I noticed recently that there was a small stain on the garage floor.
It seems it's coming from the rear part of the front wheel arch.
The liquid is crystal clear, does not look to be 100% water since somehow it's a little bit "oily" (but not at all like engine oil, but does not look aircon condensation). It does not have any specific smell and it's not really "dripping". I found a stain on the garage not bigger than 1/2 iPhone size and it's only "humid", no real liquid accumulating.

I took a picture at the only place where I can imagine is coming out. It looks like it's from that hose. Any suggestion/idea more than welcome.

Last edited by Ale_72; 08-06-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: then and than are different, stupid Italian :)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like it might be brake fluid. There's an overflow tube that runs down there. It will eat the paint on your Jack mount point if you don't clean it up.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Thanks! You are probably right. What disappoint me is that the car came 3 months ago from the full service at a Porsche classic dealer. How shall I clean it? But shouldn't the brake circuit fully sealed?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Ale_72
Thanks! You are probably right. What disappoint me is that the car came 3 months ago from the full service at a Porsche classic dealer. How shall I clean it? But shouldn't the brake circuit fully sealed?
There is an overflow pipe that comes off the top of the reservoir. If you open the frunk and look at the reservoir you will see a similar black hose. Looks like they might have overfilled it. A little brake cleaner on a rag should do it and if the reservoir is overfilled try to siphon some out or use a paper towel to absorb some. just don't let any fall on the paint or car.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Ale_72
Pro

You were both obviously right
so for now I took out 85ml of liquid with a clean syringe.
i know it's still over the top but I want to see what happens now.
meanwhile I cleaned the lower part with some home cleaning spray product that I pit
on a towel.
it should work since it's the one I use for grease/strong dirt on my motorbike.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to clean it with a standard degreaser, brake cleaner, or good old soap and water.

Quick Reply: Liquid dripping behind front wheel arch (LHD)