Sponsored by:

Window Regulator Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:09 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Window Regulator Repair

After getting the motivation from John McM's thread DIY window motor change, I finally got around to doing it. As I was cleaning the 27-year old grease off, I noticed the peg that held the end of the RHS regulator spring was spreading apart.

Name:  nP7NQ6t.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  639.4 KB

I did some research on it, and replacement pegs were not available. Seeing threads on other 911 owners repairing them, I used that inspiration at the local hardware (not big-box) store.

Name:  O3C016c.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  571.6 KB

An M6 T-nut (14x19mm I believe, an M6 machine screw, washer, and four nylon washers (they didn't have nylon spacers to fit).

After removing the peg with pliers, I slightly enlarged the hole so the nut would fit in. I did have to remove the lever stop on the other side so I could fit the nut in easily.

Name:  nnhVaJp.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  412.3 KB

Once in, add the washers, and install the screw/washer. Lubricate the spring, install, presto!

Name:  nBVgk8G.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  700.7 KB
Name:  FavaGkJ.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  785.1 KB (Yes, I removed the excess lube )

I know it's not a new method to repair, but hope it helps someone out with theirs. I did the LHS as well since both were removed. I went with nylon to avoid any potential for squeaking, and the top washer to prevent the spring end from slipping off.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Repair