Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'87 Turbo needs new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
big difference between a 2600 lbs NA race car and 3000 lbs tank. 300# effective rate is barely enough to adequately control the rear squat on a car with more than 150 ft lbs of torque. My turbo race car with those spec race rates is waaaaaay too soft at 2699 lbs. It's soft behind the wheel, and it's soft enough that other competitors say it looks too soft. You guys with mega soft cars sometimes forget that once you blow through the travel, the bump stop has a nearly infinite rate. Anyway, I do tier 1 ride and handling for a living.... if you like your car soft, by all means, if it works that's good. A soft car is certainly easier to drive, especially for a driver with slow hands. I like my NA rally car on stock springs, and my co driver wants it stiffer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
LOL, nice try.

Post up some of your track vids and I'll post a few .

I'll pick some high-res ones so you can keep up with the hands.

You specifically said "too soft to race", yet these rates are raced every weekend at tracks all over the country.

That means, you lose, no participation trophy.

So you got "tier 1" kung fu...., where are the tier 1 results...?

T
Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

lol, pack your crap up and bring it to ohio if you have something to prove.... better bring a 3k lbs car if you want to make your point though.

Sorry to the OP for this thread getting sideways.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:46 AM
951and944S
Race Car

lol, pack your crap up and bring it to ohio if you have something to prove.... better bring a 3k lbs car if you want to make your point though.

Sorry to the OP for this thread getting sideways.
LOL, I just so happened to have access to a 968 that I'm finishing up for a buddy.....RL'er too.

How bout I pay your trailer tow fee and 2 nights local hotel to the NOLA PCA.

I'll live stream the heats and enduro with an exclusive RL view password.

I'd feel way more safe that way, as opposed to me trailering a car way up to Mid Ohio just to find out that you aren't showing up and won't answer a phone call because there's no record of you ever participating in any PCA sanctioned event or holding a PCA race license.

Did you ever apologize to the OP in that other thread about great Lindsey Racing service where you called Dave Lindsey a liar....?

T

Last edited by 951and944S; 07-26-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Ill look at the event info. Like I said, I don't have anything to prove, so end of season in ohio works better for me. Happy to do a friendly competition at a test day, but an enduro is not in the cards this year.

I did not apologize in the other thread, because it was about excellent customer service, which people deserve to know is necessarily a blanket truth. I backed up my statements with email documentation, which Dave's excellent customer service response was that he didn't read. What more to say about that?

My efforts are focused on National level autocross at the moment, you're welcome to fly up and drive my car at an event and we can start with just comparing drivers and go from there. No charge for the seat time unless you flat spot my tires. PM for further details if interested. Our end of year Mid Ohio days are typically sept or october. dont forget your 400 lbs of ballast
Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK. Both of you go to your rooms until your Father gets home!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Ill look at the event info. Like I said, I don't have anything to prove, so end of season in ohio works better for me. Happy to do a friendly competition at a test day, but an enduro is not in the cards this year.

I did not apologize in the other thread, because it was about excellent customer service, which people deserve to know is necessarily a blanket truth. I backed up my statements with email documentation, which Dave's excellent customer service response was that he didn't read. What more to say about that?

My efforts are focused on National level autocross at the moment, you're welcome to fly up and drive my car at an event and we can start with just comparing drivers and go from there. No charge for the seat time unless you flat spot my tires. PM for further details if interested. Our end of year Mid Ohio days are typically sept or october. dont forget your 400 lbs of ballast
Okay, hatchet buried, but no thanks, wheel to wheel racing only. Don't do autocross or time trials.

I was about to sweeten the pot with a club night out on Bourbon St.....

T
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by michael7810
OK. Both of you go to your rooms until your Father gets home!
LOL, sorry man.

I knew you had plotted a course and had this figured out.

If you decide to have Koni cut the big spring perches and do the ride height adjustment conversion, I have some very nice rear Leda coilovers for cheap over at a Pelican thread. I'll even cut you some more slack on 'em since you've been so hospitable of a thread host...

T
Old 07-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately my time is worth as much as the money these days... Thanks for the invite though!
I was doing more wheel to wheel before my costly ex-wife mod mentioned earlier in the thread.

Consider it a standing offer on the ride. even if autocross isn't your normal bag, a modded 951 has a certain bull in a china shop appeal on a 75mph course. I've tried to get other Porsche guys hooked with a relatively low take rate.

I'm not active with PCA, but I would like to do another porsche parade some day, so maybe I'll see you there in the next year or so. Thinking about 944 fest as well, if they're still doing that event.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
LOL, sorry man.

I knew you had plotted a course and had this figured out.

If you decide to have Koni cut the big spring perches and do the ride height adjustment conversion, I have some very nice rear Leda coilovers for cheap over at a Pelican thread. I'll even cut you some more slack on 'em since you've been so hospitable of a thread host...

T
As a side note, to the OP.. My street car has ledas with torsion bar delete and a fairly aggressive spring.. Theyre either 400 or 600# front. and I'm a big fan of the leda damper. Isolation is good over medium texture, and they did a good job of matching the damping to spring, mine are not adjustable. It takes a pot hole level of event to make the car feel too stiff... If you can get a good deal on a set of ledas, and want a car that handles better, and can tolerate a firm ride to get there. I would buy the ledas and never look back.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:39 PM
michael7810
Racer

Update and some progress. I ordered new rear Koni sports from Jason. I removed the front struts and got them cleaned and boxed for shipping to Performance Shock, Inc for rebuild. The upper strut mount bearings are bad; 1 side turns very rough and the other is missing the bottom bearing seal (I can see the bearing *****) and does not turn. I did a little checking and holy moly those mounts are expensive. Is there a rebuild service/procedure for replacing the bearings? The rubber seems OK so I think it's only the bearing that need replacing. If not what are the alternatives? I see 944online has an all metal replacement but wouldn't that make for a harsher ride? Plus I want it to look stock. I have not tried to free up the bearings yet to see if they're salvageable.
My other issue is the ball joint boots are both torn so I need new balljoints. I'm guessing that I should replace the control arm bushings while I'm there...are balljoints & bushings something I can do myself?
Thanks, Michael
Old 09-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It sucks but everything is priced on supply and demand. Plus Porsche owners tend to pay for higher quality parts on top of that.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:08 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

If you want it to remain stock looking then you'll have to go with stock replacements.
Camber plates and other spherical mounts are good options and cost comparable but you won't retain the stock appeal.

Only you can decide.
It's a slippery slope once you decide stock is no longer necessary.
Choose once and choose wisely.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:30 AM
michael7810
Racer

mj951: I was pretty sure that was the answer I was gonna get. Bite the bullet for OEM if I want it to look OEM. I was hoping there was a rebuild option but that does not seem to exist. I found a pair of good used ones on Lart's eBay site that I have purchased.

My plan when I bought a bone stock car was to avoid the slippery slope of "upgrades."
Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Good choice.

That was my plan too, then I got invited to my first DE event...
Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM
michael7810
Racer

Originally Posted by mj951
Good choice.

That was my plan too, then I got invited to my first DE event...
That's why I keep my 914

Quick Reply: '87 Turbo needs new shocks