Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another cold weather boost observation

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 12:38 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The colder it is outside, the more boost you will make. There is no limit except obviously the ambient temps. Also, the colder the intake charge, the less chance of detonation. The whole system is self regulating: cold air, more boost yet less likely to detonate. So, make no adjustments and just enjoy the car.
However, the ability to fully utilize the power is hindered by the colder pavement (less tire adhesion). The tires will probably not spin in the higher gears but watch out for those long, high speed curves on a very cold day!

H2Opumpr.......your DME is adjusting everthing for the colder temps; there's nothing to change.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:04 PM
H2Opumpr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever since I bypassed the CV boost contol has been more consistent, but on the other hand I'm not sure I like to see 15psi at a quarter throttle opening. I makes for a somewhat undrivable car, of coarse this has been exaserbated by the cold weather. I just want to see full boost when I mash the throttle; Maybe 7-10 psi at part throttle. It seems like that was how it used to be when I had the CV in operation. It has been more noticable since Danno's chips were installed. Electronic boost control maybe?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

WOW, wish I had complaints about seeing full boost at part throttle.

You running stock turbo?? AFM ???
Old 11-23-2003, 01:44 PM
H2Opumpr
Advanced

K26/8 new, new rings, fresh head by EBS, Dannos chips, reliaboost and stock AFM, just freshend everything up last spring. Probably won't do anything else except for a wastegate. I live in Cali and the smog ***** are always bust'in *****. Suspension next!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:41 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Even with MoTeC, the low and Med. boost settings deliver more boost as ambient drops. Little effect on high, as that pesky waste gate opens at programmed level. Med. and low work off a percentage of the max. setting. I do not fully understand why med. and low increase as ambient drops, while the high setting is not temp. dependant. Not complaining, though. Another interesting property of turbos is that the more frequent you're able to use boost, the more responsive the turbo. While, I think the explanation is clear, (more heat in the ex. expands ex. gasses, increasing velocity and or volume) the decrease in response time can be amazing. I do not track my car, but even on an auto-X course (1 warm-up lap, 2 timed) during the 3rd lap it's like an N/A car. Makes you want to ride both pedals on the first lap.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:09 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Sorry to ressurect this thread... but I have a new theory on why we see more boost in cold weather (especially up here in edmonton!) Maybe the spring in the wastegate is staying colder and hence stiffer directing more exhaust into the turbo. Even running the car a little hard in cold weather doesn't heat up the IC-manifold pipe. It's always ice cold.

Justin
Old 12-03-2003, 01:43 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Yep I noticed that too. Also noted boost coming on a little earlier after I changed my driving habit. Switching my RPM shift from a lazy 3k to 4k. All in all these cars make much better fall/winter/early spring driving than summer. In fact I will switch my mechanical "downtime" maintenance to summer when it gets too hot to enjoy the run.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:21 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Even running the car a little hard in cold weather doesn't heat up the IC-manifold pipe. It's always ice cold."

I posted on a cooling system for the IC pipes a while back.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:46 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

intake air temp is suddenly lower car runs better.....that means everything runs a little better with the motor and yes that does include boost pressures.......someone on page one made a reference to "this must be how our cars respond to water injection" yes you would be right.......go and get water injection and your car will run in the summer like it does for you right now....and in the winter time......lol......well i will just let you be the jugde.....i now have water/methanol injection on my car.....and it runs like a scalded ape! a 18psi rocket.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:28 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

porshhhh951: What type of system did you go with??
Old 12-07-2003, 01:29 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Too bad more people don't realize how much a difference water injection makes.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:46 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Water injection only makes a positive difference if you inject just the right amount, with proper ignition advance. Too much water and you will lose power.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:13 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Ignition advance is not nessacary for turbo cars to see increased performance with water inj. The main benifit is the ability to increase boost levels and the cooling of the charge air. Which is what is also seen in cold ambient temps.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Optimal ignition timing is absolutely important with water injection because excess humidity will slow down combustion. If you had optimal timing before the water injection it's probably good; but I doubt it because there probably would have been some detonation before. There is no point in using water injection just in order to turn up the boost when you can have the same power at the lower boost levels without water injection. This is what happens when timing isn't optimized and/or too much water (you need surprisingly little).
Old 12-08-2003, 06:52 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by toddk911
porshhhh951: What type of system did you go with??
i went with aquameth slutions........its my friends company....if you want to see a pic of the kit click on my sig which will take you to my new website....the banner at the top changes when it gets to forcedinduction.net click on it....thats our website and forum......go to the forum....scroll down you will find the thread about it....in that thread there is complete kit pic there.........sorry i tried copying and pasting but, for some reason it didnt work...

i do have some pics of roberts(one of my friends.....he is also of forcedinduction) i will try and give you some links here it goes.

http://members.rennlist.com/porshh95...OBRA%20012.jpg

http://members.rennlist.com/porshh95...OBRA%20015.jpg

http://members.rennlist.com/porshh95...OBRA%20016.jpg

http://members.rennlist.com/porshh95...OBRA%20013.jpg

http://members.rennlist.com/porshh95...OBRA%20019.jpg

Quick Reply: Another cold weather boost observation