Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Chasing donw a Vacuum leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003 | 06:43 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Default Chasing donw a Vacuum leak!!

My car seems to be rough on idle and I really think it is a loose hose/vacuum leak somewhere. Is there anyway to chase down a vacuum leak without just removing everything? I replaced my airfilter a few months ago and the problem just keeps getting a little worse everyday. When I put the airfilter in I was moving the box some so I don't know if it is at the box (I don't think so) or somewhere else. I can't hear anything that isn't normal in the front, so I think it is a small leak. I have a '86 944 Turbo.
Old 11-20-2003 | 06:46 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

Did you check your BOV? maybe that is bad... If you didnt go pull the the hose of it and suck on it or use a vaccum pump.. if your holding vaccum its good... if you can suck air through it it needs to be replaced... Rule that out before you go on the big search for vaccum lines.

Keith
Old 11-21-2003 | 01:14 AM
diskzero
Advanced

Here is my possibly unpopular view. For your own piece of mind, dedicate a couple of hours to go over all of the tubing, even the tubing under the intake manifold. It took me less than four hours to redo all of my tubing and that included pulling the fuel rail and the manifold. As a bonus, I was able to reseal the fuel injectors. I didn't have to order any special parts and was able to get brass T's, tubing and the injector seals locally.

It is good to do this just so you know that it has been done.
Old 11-21-2003 | 02:48 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally posted by diskzero
Here is my possibly unpopular view. For your own piece of mind, dedicate a couple of hours to go over all of the tubing, even the tubing under the intake manifold. It took me less than four hours to redo all of my tubing and that included pulling the fuel rail and the manifold. As a bonus, I was able to reseal the fuel injectors. I didn't have to order any special parts and was able to get brass T's, tubing and the injector seals locally.

It is good to do this just so you know that it has been done.
I second that suggestion. It does take time... but it will be better in the long-run.
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:23 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Or buy a $39 smoke machine at Party City et al and blow it into the intake...that'll show the leaks easy and quick.
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:24 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Damn I didn't think about that earlier, I just had a whole bunch of dry ice here at the house like 3 weeks ago. That would of worked too. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:08 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Easy way to check for a vacuum lerak, simply pimch off the supply at the intake manifold banjo bolt. You should have a closed system at this point. THen using a vacuum pump with a gauge, simply pull the vacuum line off the BOV, and fix the pump to that line, give it a few pumps and see if it leaks down. At least this way you will klnow if you need to chase down the vacuum lines, and could put the effort in another direction if needed.

Take Care
Old 11-22-2003 | 05:41 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

Yea rule out the BOV first before you start taking manfolds off and such.. u can test the BOV in 5 mins.. go do it now!
Old 11-23-2003 | 01:49 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I thought that was it plus it was the 1st one on the car so I replaced it but that didn't do anything.

Quick Reply: Chasing donw a Vacuum leak!!