Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I have the knee bar but it is pushed much farther forward and is higher
Originally Posted by Brockoli
2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron fits the contour of the front doorsill perfectly. That's what we used for the front A-pillar base plates. Might save you time making base plates. Just make sure they are long enough so they meet the requirements for minimum base plate area.

Nice work! I strongly think these forward bars add a lot for safety. Is there a name for these?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
The transmission tunnel at the rear seat panel is probably the single strongest part of the 944 body; it has everything going for it: multiple planes, multiple layers of material and great angles without compromise and it's also got the Torque tube underneath as a safety net! It's an overlooked strong feature in my humble opinion.
Finally, I agree with you on something.

I haven't used this but have thought about it.

And you are right, you'd be hard pressed to find a stiffer/stronger part on the car. If a car was upended and fell onto the roof from any height, I'd suspect a support here could save your life if the hoop bars tore through the floor.
The tube you have placed is very strong in compression but you have it supported by a horizontal.

T
Old 06-20-2017, 10:08 PM
951and944S
Race Car

One of the things that bothers me the most safety-wise is running over a hard part (part of a crash or lost from a running car) and it coming through the floor under the driver's seat.

That, or a flying part coming through a windshield.

There's nothing like seeing a loved one get in a bad wreck as a spectator.

These cars are strong though.

Although this tub was totalled, the two 80's SC 911s that hit it suffered severe damage, one was totalled at the driver door post.

The car was shortened by several inches and the Forgeline wheel lip was peeled like a wood carving..

Several parts of the body were split at the unit body welds including the floor.

Was sorry to see this one go but I retubbed it better than before. More testament to the 944 strength, I speared this car through the firewall with forks and loaded it on a scrap guy's trailer....

T
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That's too bad you tossed a good windshield.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
That's too bad you tossed a good windshield.
LOL, there aint no such thing as a "good" windshield on a race car unless it's first weekend out.

Downhill from there, sandblasted and chipped after a few race weekends.

We change them out twice a year.

I have a mobile glass buddy that puts them in at my shop in 20 minutes for $110 installed.

T
Old 06-21-2017, 01:26 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Started on the halo to main gussets.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:31 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Had a chance to breeze through this today. It's based on older and more simplified FIA rally car standards, which is what I'm mostly been basing my build on. The exception is they don't include a halo roof bar as an option (which confuses me). Thanks for the post. Note: notice they don't list a dash bar. The newer rule book lists it as "provision".

Originally Posted by Paulyy
http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/Gener...e-J-2017-1.pdf

These are our CAMS guidelines.

For reference, We need CAMS approved cages for street use and track use. some events require a CAMS approved cage and you cannot race with out one.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:37 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Wouldn't a bolt in half cage work just fine for a street/track car?
NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Bolt in cages and roll bars are for people who are in denial about their path...

Most players who buy the bolt in cages sell them and upgrade later, just like I'm upgrading from my roll bar.

I'm happy that most of the posts and replies are from people who have accepted their level of commitment

The difference in protection between a roll bar & a cage with door bars & a pillars is night and day. no comparison. Sooner or later you either just live in denial or make the huge leap forward!!

Planning and goal setting goes a long way. Installing a cage is very hard on the car body. Notice most people who do it also repaint the car and maybe replace the windshield after?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
What connects the two hoops...?

T
Maybe "Double Hoop" was a poor choice of words, but its a double B Pillar sort of... So I shot a pic of it this morning, The Idea Of this Cage is to pass Tech for PCA Club Racing. I First did the Minimal, Then ADDED..

I had to offset the cope on the top to get the TIG all the way around.. I also added Crash bars that are bolted and made out of thinner tube to avoid "scrapping" to a minimal degree, Plus I wanted to protect my Fuel tank.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Maybe "Double Hoop" was a poor choice of words, but its a double B Pillar sort of... So I shot a pic of it this morning, The Idea Of this Cage is to pass Tech for PCA Club Racing. I First did the Minimal, Then ADDED..

I had to offset the cope on the top to get the TIG all the way around.. I also added Crash bars that are bolted and made out of thinner tube to avoid "scrapping" to a minimal degree, Plus I wanted to protect my Fuel tank.
Ok, I see....

What PCA class....?

The wreck I posted above had a 911 ricochet off the rear end enough to total the 911 and the only thing that happened to the tank was the plastic column around the sending unit came displaced inside the tank.

You can see my son's green 944 up ahead on the right, video from behind, a buddy's S2 SP3 car.
My son pretty much owns this place in a 944 8V NA car and was qualied up around the 911 E cars....., guess they didn't like that...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw1...dueGxMNTQ/view

Second view from another 944 buddy, SP1 car, the 1st car vid was from is the S2 that pulls the SP1 car on the left.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw1s...hnYV9EYXM/edit

Thanks for the extra pics.

T
Old 06-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Wow he knocked out 2 911's with that rear end.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:07 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Voith
Wow he knocked out 2 911's with that rear end.
LOL, did you see the white one's front wheels leave the ground on impact....?

The black one's door post was crushed and pushed back.

T
Old 06-21-2017, 12:52 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GPA, what series do you race in? That car looks like it's ready for demolition derby. when you push the cage out like that you increase the chance of main cage deformation upon impact. This means a higher G-Force load on the occupant in the event of a significant crash. Crush zones help absorb the blow.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That white 911's driver should have stayed off the track once he hit the grass. He turned into the field and lost it because he doesn't know how to drive a 911. The tail end is always going to swing out if you loose it on grass. That's the benifits of a 911 having the engine in the back. He should have pulled the e-brake and spun the rear end around and stayed off the track and saved three Porsche.
Nice driving by the 944 driver that hit the grass to avoid the crash, it's much easier to control a 944 on grass then a 911 in that kind of situation.
Protecting the gas tank is a great move. You never know how hard of an impact a wreck can produce. And if you have a $5500 custom gas tank like the old Koklen Orca's gas tank then I would definitely protect it with a cage.

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 06-21-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:36 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
GPA, what series do you race in? That car looks like it's ready for demolition derby. when you push the cage out like that you increase the chance of main cage deformation upon impact. This means a higher G-Force load on the occupant in the event of a significant crash. Crush zones help absorb the blow.
Im planning on Racing in F stock then moving to SP3, I know exactly what youre saying but those bars that Extent Rearward and behind the Quarters Are made from 1 1/4" .090 wall Tubing.. Same Tubing we ran in a NASCAR Open wheel Modified. The Tubing is Fairly weak and meant to be so, If it hits hard enough to destroy the main cage then the car is junk anyway, I just wanted a bit more "Tirewall" protection so my bodywork wont be as extensive.. With the modified these bars were replaced all the time and the cage was never impacted..

That was a pretty good hit, My Brother-in law had a 911 total his VERY nice 951 the same way, Guy went off track and instead of accepting his fate (both feet in) decided to try and save it and came back across the track, to take him out as well..

Quick Reply: Caging Wilson