Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Caging Wilson

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Beautiful fabrication by everyone!
I am very impressed! Love to see what you guys are doing!!

Post them if you got them!

----------------

944Sand951,

Hey brother, I just have been too busy with things to follow up & with the new laptop my first stop is Rennlist (its my home group). You have made a lot of good suggestion and I appreciate it all!

Please don't take offence that I don't always follow advice (it's not you, its just my nature).
Old 06-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

YES 944Sand951 is correct, this is a street and sometimes track car. When you love the 944 as much as I do you want it EVERYDAY. I'm a junky! I'm hooked baby.
This is why I am moving the driver's position rearward and downward to buy more headroom for safer un-helmeted street use.

I am keeping full HVAC. I suspect many of the builds seen here are track specific & the a pillar and dash bar designs reflect that.

-Would love to see pics of a pillar bars with the window net mounts welded. I don't have a net but perhaps I can weld a front one in based on pictures and later add the bolt on style rear net mounts (I have room at the back for the bulky clamp on at rear but not front).

Gracious Amigos!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Bob, Your aluminum dash is insanely nice. This is something I would like if I was going full race.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

big step forward tonight. dropped the cage to weld the top of the joints, then started reattaching to the main hoop. In 2 days I will make some plates for the a-pillars.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
What he's failing to mention......this is a street car.....!
Further reason to pay very careful attention to padding. Padding is its own subject.

This should be prefaced that a cage is not ideal in a street vehicle. To continue..

The immediate interior is padded for a reason (as it is in any other modern cockpit). Padding is strategically placed on any area of possible impact. The pillars, roof, dash, etc.

When you took off the headliner you would've seen several medium-density foam pieces glued to the roof. Additionally, foam is underneath the upholstery on the dash, horn pad, pillar trim, visor panel, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by Noahs944
I would consider the angle at which you attach the bar to the sill.

If you have them angled that way for ingress/egress then you should consider moving them forward of the dash, then coming straight down. I think 951and944S's setup is like this (on pelican)?

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Could be an illusion, but the welds look a bit funky on that rear plate.
__

I don't think anyone is against your ambition.

However, you should really consult someone licensed in structural engineering if you are building your own cage.

I imagine they would have a few questions:
-Why do the A-pillars join the sill at an angle that is not 90 degrees?
-What is the purpose of the vertical beam coming off of the tunnel? While it would transfer some load, I think (could be wrong) it is negligible unless it is there purely to hold something.
-Have you determined that the X-brace does not interfere with the proper location for the shoulder belts?

I am not a structural engineer. Nor is the internet. Best to talk to someone in person.

Following other designs only takes you so far. And just because it is a racecar, doesn't mean it is built well.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 06-20-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsp...roof/452/1870/

Here is a nice example of a cage for the 944`s.

Remember, to many bars will out align them self, and in the end, just be dead weight.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/Gener...e-J-2017-1.pdf

These are our CAMS guidelines.

For reference, We need CAMS approved cages for street use and track use. some events require a CAMS approved cage and you cannot race with out one.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wouldn't a bolt in half cage work just fine for a street/track car?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Wouldn't a bolt in half cage work just fine for a street/track car?
If it's legal on the streets in your country. I would rather that for a street car.

My best mates car is a street track car. not a porsche but a honda CRX with a 180hp b20. Hes got a half cage. does the job.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I did a "Double hoop" so I was able to put the main hoop as far back as possible. Then I did an offset bend Down the B Pillar, This allows for a couple of things, 1) Room 2)Ability to finish weld through the sunroof. 3. VERY sturdy door bars.
And My knee Bar is behind dash nicely... Although its a Racecar.. Its actually on the road...
Hope this give you more ideas...

Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
I did a "Double hoop" so I was able to put the main hoop as far back as possible. Then I did an offset bend Down the B Pillar, This allows for a couple of things, 1) Room 2)Ability to finish weld through the sunroof. 3. VERY sturdy door bars.
And My knee Bar is behind dash nicely... Although its a Racecar.. Its actually on the road...
Hope this give you more ideas...
What connects the two hoops...?

T
Old 06-20-2017, 07:26 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Also, does the double main hoop pass tech in any racing organizations?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Brockoli
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron fits the contour of the front doorsill perfectly. That's what we used for the front A-pillar base plates. Might save you time making base plates. Just make sure they are long enough so they meet the requirements for minimum base plate area.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Also, does the double main hoop pass tech in any racing organizations?
Unless there's something not shown in the pics, I don't think so.

At a minimum, if he's calling the rear hoop (proper) the "main hoop", then it has to be connected to the front via tubing.

If he's calling the front hoop the main hoop, it has to have a diagonal.

And that's just PCA who I find the most lenient. Only one door bar is required.

A hit to the rear door bar area near the door striker will fold that front hoop up like a piece of warm cheese.

T
Old 06-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

FrenchToast "
I imagine they would have a few questions:
-Why do the A-pillars join the sill at an angle that is not 90 degrees?
-What is the purpose of the vertical beam coming off of the tunnel? While it would transfer some load, I think (could be wrong) it is negligible unless it is there purely to hold something.
-Have you determined that the X-brace does not interfere with the proper location for the shoulder belts?"

My response:
After studying various rally cages and the Hanksville SCCA944 cages, I determined this style and angle of a-pillar is "common" but probably safer than "s" bend a pillars which might bend in towards the occupants... and the design I chose while making ingress/egress easier and still allowing hvac vents user friendly in a street car. It's a compromise, but still strong.

The transmission tunnel at the rear seat panel is probably the single strongest part of the 944 body; it has everything going for it: multiple planes, multiple layers of material and great angles without compromise and it's also got the Torque tube underneath as a safety net! It's an overlooked strong feature in my humble opinion.

Yes this cage will allow use of oem or after market harnesses.

Quick Reply: Caging Wilson