Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Evans Waterless Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Evans Waterless Coolant

I have done the obligatory search on the topic, but I have not found anything informative. Several people have said they were going to try it but never posted any results, several people have used it and said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread but with no true results.

Those that have tried it what were your results.
  1. Did you see higher operating temperatures, if so how much higher
  2. Did you see any signs of corrosion
  3. Did you need to go to a lower pressure cap
  4. How much coolant was required, ie gallons
  5. How big a pain to flush
  6. Are you happy with the results or it is not worth the effort
  7. Did you make any mods, larger radiator, silicon hoses, etc

I am looking to convert to this system, if I do I will post results.

Thanks for your contribution
Old 05-28-2017, 01:36 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Edit: update June 2

Worked on the car a ton today.

Well I must admit I am pretty pissed that I found corrosion in the metal hard lines so far.

Because I don't run it in the winter I think I may switch to just using water and HyperKuhl.

The fact Evans still has glycol in it from reading I just did pisses me off. We use a coolant at work that is 100% non poisonous Propynol.

I am actually not using Evans when I get the car back together. I was under the impression that the system would not corrode using the stuff.

I ran Evans in my 3.0L

Wizard combo radiator/oil cooler

Everything was new when I built the car. Only had to flush the heater core. I bought the Evans flush for that.

Well as for corrosion I just pulled the hard-pipe that sits above the header. It has corrosion and deposits and was new when I built the car.
I have found corrosion in my re-plated metal line on the back of the head and the big metal pipe at the front of the engine upon further inspection.

The car ran well and the only heating issue I had was bleeding the air out when I first got it going.

My car never overheated with the stuff and I never had any head gasket issues.

1. I didn't notice higher temps but I have 3 fans and a huge aluminum radiator.

2. corrosion....well apparently it does if you don't have a greater than 97% mix. Well that's odd because the system was new and I flushed the heater core with their flush fluid.

3. Used the same rad cap

4. I bought 4 one gallon jugs and had more than enough. Now wish I had not bought any.

5. Flush was easy for me as I mentioned it was a new build

6. Turns out it's not always Propanol based....some of the info I read in the past was misleading.

7. Big rad and mix of silicone and stock rad hoses.

8. Evans is thicker than Ethylene glycol and water.

Conclusion for me.

I am freakin pissed about the corrosion and deposits I am not going to use it when I get the car back together. Well so much for that

Last edited by gruhsy; 06-03-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Evans is like a 80-100% propylene glycol.
If you spill that on the track your car will be banned and the cleanup crew will hate you.
Also your OIL temperature gets higher as Evans cool less efficiently than water. :The specific heat of propylene glycol is 2.5kJ/kg versus about 4.2kJ/kg for water. A light mix of distilled water and water wetter will be the best for temperatures. Anyways i live in Norway and Evans totally makes sense here as we never get to high ambient temperatures.

Possessives are that Evans does not Boil as early like water and will unlikely spill trough the overflow hose.

People i know that used it think its too much bother for not too much"or any" gain .
Old 05-29-2017, 07:08 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

There is no prohibition against it on road tracks in the US. I have had a couple of oil spills but no failed cooling system components. I was after actual experience with the product.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

It's not as good as it sounds on paper, I know a guy that switched to it then in about a week switched back to water. Not sure why.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:14 AM
dlr944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about to switch over in the next couple weeks.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:59 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does Evans have any impact to a water pump versus water mixed with coolant during stress/flow? It seems unless you are letting the vehicle sit it may benefit though is it heavier on high flow thru water pump? Not sure I would ever use it. Also will it degrade typical hoses?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:01 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

No issues on my hoses but read my edit post above if you have not.

Originally Posted by numbskull
Does Evans have any impact to a water pump versus water mixed with coolant during stress/flow? It seems unless you are letting the vehicle sit it may benefit though is it heavier on high flow thru water pump? Not sure I would ever use it. Also will it degrade typical hoses?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:10 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

I will switch over sometime this summer and report results after I have had some experience with it. I am not in a great big hurry as I live in Texas and running ones car in the summer months down here is a heroic effort that I am not up to.

Quick Reply: Evans Waterless Coolant