Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All P-Cars LEAK!

Folks ... a friend of mine owns a P-Car garage and I have looked under every Porsche that has gone up on the hoist when I visit, old or new (2001). There is ONE thing in common with them all If it does not leak oil, it's not a Porsche! All P-Cars leak!!! Does not matter how old or the model ... they leak, PERIOD!

Jaak Lepson (with oil leaks)
Old 11-18-2003, 01:17 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oil leak got really bad for a couple of weeks, right after my first oil change after buying the car. I had to use a crappy Purolator filter and I had a problem with my oil light always coming on for a warm/hot start. Next change I used a Mahle filter and the light doesn't come on, nor does the car leak oil (any more than a 944 variant should).

Mobil 1 since I bought it, Mobil 1 till I kill it!

On a side note, can the oil pressure sending unit leak while still working properly? (5 bar when cold, 3.5 bar when hot, no bouncing or wandering)
Old 11-18-2003, 03:07 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Yes you can switch back, but why?"

Sythetic oil runs cleaner and with less break down than non synthetic thus drawing more attention to leaks that the "more gunky", for lack of a better term, oils help to cover and/or clog.

Also, I like many others have mentioned, had no or only a few pin drop leaks, swtiched to synthetic, regardsless of brand, and now have more leaking. This was noticed directly after the change to synthetic.

Take a very old, beat up car/truck that has a couple of little leaks and do then run synthetic, YOU WILL HAVE MORE OR MORE NOTICABLE LEAKS. Almost guarenteed. I have had this happen to me and many other friends. Only seems to be an issue on older vehicles. It is usally the seals going bad, hard, dry rot, etc.

I have noticed running a quart of Marvel Mystery oil seems to help. I was told it treats and/or "swells" the seals and thus reducing leakage.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Gee ... if it "fixes leaks", what does it do to the rest of the engine?

Face it, P-Cars leak ...........................

Jaak (No Flame Intended) Lepson
Old 11-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: All P-Cars LEAK!

Originally posted by Jaak Lepson
Folks ... a friend of mine owns a P-Car garage and I have looked under every Porsche that has gone up on the hoist when I visit, old or new (2001). There is ONE thing in common with them all If it does not leak oil, it's not a Porsche! All P-Cars leak!!! Does not matter how old or the model ... they leak, PERIOD!
My 951 must not be a Porsche. It does not leak oil!! What's wrong with my car??? (Mobil 1 almost from day one)

Old 11-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Re: All P-Cars LEAK!

EDIT: Duplicate message deleted.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Talking

Maybe change your glasses?

If you look you will find leaks ...... unless you cheated and had it rebuilt recently.

Jaak Lepson
Old 11-18-2003, 04:46 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine doesn't leak!

(But that is because I switched it from dino to Mobil 1 right after I bought it and it sprung leaks from everywhere. Almost every seal/gasket ended up being replaced)

Tifo
Old 11-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Stefan
Racer

Mine leaked quite a bit too until I did the full engine rebuild. I now run synthetic mobil 1 with no leaks (so far.. 25,000km later)

My mechanic said it didn't realy matter from his perspective whether I ran synthetic or dino after the initial engine break-in period whicih required dino. I figured I can run the synthetic longer and it may resist high heat breakdown better so I went that route.

There's an oil FAQ on here somewhere that's very good if you search for it.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:57 PM
tecart
Pro

the oil pressure sending unit can work perfect and leak for sure, its the seal at the end that leaks when it screws on too tight or to loosely, i had a leak there once too
Old 11-18-2003, 08:32 PM
reactor2
Instructor

I think leakage is directly proportional to the amount the car is beat on. Anyway, has anybody tried contacting Porsche directly and asking them if Mobil 1 causes any problems in the 951 engine?

Quick Reply: Oil leaks after switching to Mobil1