Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Holset Super HX35

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:27 AM
Wojo7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holset Super HX35

Can anyone school me on making this turbo fit? Seems like it will work with some new exhaust flanges, maybe some grinding or a spacer?
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I would go for the oil cooled HX35. I'm not sure if the HY will fit, it uses a Vband to mount the compressor housing - there's a few things going on in that area (balance shaft cover mainly). Maybe someone else can chime in.

Physically, it will bolt to the mount. But you need carefully choose a hotside. Stock housings won't fit without modification, including the 12cm. For my HX35 I got a 0.63 Garrett hotside machined for the HX CHRA, which I got from Tim's Turbos. He's a sponsor on here as well IIRC. It's smaller (and will spool better) although not twin scroll. But neither is your crossover anyway. You'll need to space the CHRA off the mount using a spacer plate (again from Tim's Turbos, it's not much) and possibly use a phenolic spacer under your manifold to bring it and the TB away from the compressor housing. The rest is modding the crossover and downpipe to accept the flanging.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Wojo7
Instructor

Originally Posted by odonnell
I would go for the oil cooled HX35. I'm not sure if the HY will fit, it uses a Vband to mount the compressor housing - there's a few things going on in that area (balance shaft cover mainly). Maybe someone else can chime in.

Physically, it will bolt to the mount. But you need carefully choose a hotside. Stock housings won't fit without modification, including the 12cm. For my HX35 I got a 0.63 Garrett hotside machined for the HX CHRA, which I got from Tim's Turbos. He's a sponsor on here as well IIRC. It's smaller (and will spool better) although not twin scroll. But neither is your crossover anyway. You'll need to space the CHRA off the mount using a spacer plate (again from Tim's Turbos, it's not much) and possibly use a phenolic spacer under your manifold to bring it and the TB away from the compressor housing. The rest is modding the crossover and downpipe to accept the flanging.
Thanks for the info, doesn't sound too bad, I'll have to wire down the hot side size. in your opinion was the extra work over what's available as a straight bolt in worth it?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:21 PM
TimsTurbos
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The race cover fits in no Vband. But, Im out of the hx35's. I only have the hx40's right now.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 PM
Wojo7
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimsTurbos
The race cover fits in no Vband. But, Im out of the hx35's. I only have the hx40's right now.
Is the performance the same when altered to be a direct bolt in?
Can this be pre ordered?

Quick Reply: Holset Super HX35