Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse turbo guys, are you using an oil restrictor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:18 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vitesse turbo guys, are you using an oil restrictor?

I recieved my stage II turbo from Vitesse recently, the oil return opening is a square deal like the usual garrett hybrids. Are any of you vitesse guys using an oil restrictor in the oil supply, if not, are your turbos smoking under boost??? John's advice has to install as is with no restrictor as hos turbos have not had reported oil blowing issues.

Also, have any of you had issues with a leaky oil return connection. I have been advised by Jonh to use the non-metallic gasket supplied with my OLD oring.

I have no reason not to have faith in John's advice as he is a straight shooter and knows his shi*. His kits kick ***, I just wanted some feedback from end users. The thread links give some valuable insight into some of these issues.

Cheers
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ce+shaft+cover

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...oil+restrictor
Old 11-14-2003, 09:18 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The paper gaskets will tear and you will have a leak for sure.

What you need is the "O" ring adapter plate that SFR sells for the Garrett turbo install.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:31 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tony, again you give opinion about something you obviously know nothing about. Have you seen the paper gasket i use, do you know what type of material it's made out of? The answer is a big NO!

Why would a gasket blow? Is there pressure on it at the bottom of the turbo? How much pressure?

I never recommend anything to my customers unless I tested it first. Again, I make sure I test on my personal car not on theirs...

You make guesses and recommendations without thinking of how it affects people that need correct information. If you want to score browny pints with your tuner "du jour", please do not comment on my product unless you have concrete data.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a paper gasket. SFR did not supply a special o-ring adapter plate when I bought a turbo last year.

Both the vitesse stage 2 and the SFR stage 2 look the same at the bottom. Vitesse supplied a gasket (not paper) which I think is not necessary but a saftey precaution I guess, no smoking at all with both turbos.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Huntley Racing Stage II turbo which had problems with spitting and smoking oil. Placing the oil restrictor that John Andersen sent to me many months ago has greatly reduced the problem. The turbo has not suffered to this date, but only time will tell. I have no regrets.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:20 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>Tony, again you give opinion about something you obviously know nothing about. Have you seen the paper gasket i use, do you know what type of material it's made out of? The answer is a big NO!<<

Uhhh The problem with the paper gasket is not pressure, nor is oil flow, etc, as you ASSumed I was referring to. And I never said the gaskets will blow. That's an ASSumption on your part.

The problem is that the turbo moves around on the mount due to the expansion and contraction of the exhaust plumbing that's directly bolted to the turbo. This is a fact... unlike your statement.

If you don't have something that can withstand movement, the sealing device (in this case an "O" ring or a gasket) will fail due to the fact that it will get "chewed up" from the movement. It's just a matter of time.

"O" rings withstand movement better than anything else out there.... and is the very reason Porsche uses an "O" ring on the bottom of the factory turbo.

>>>Why would a gasket blow? Is there pressure on it at the bottom of the turbo? How much pressure?<<<

I think I just answered you obviously misdirected question.

>>>I never recommend anything to my customers unless I tested it first.<<<

OK. I guess we should take your testing as the gospel then eh?

>>>You make guesses and recommendations without thinking of how it affects people that need correct information. <<<

Correction: This not a guess. It's a fact. Big difference.

>>>If you want to score browny pints with your tuner "du jour", please do not comment on my product unless you have concrete data.<<<

If.. bla bla bla.

There is no "if". And I don't need to score anything with anybody. I never have.

I just call 'em as I see 'em. Just the facts.

Honestly... you sound a bit defensive.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2003, 12:48 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tony, you are so correct... thank you for educating all of us...
Old 11-15-2003, 01:21 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

fast951

Your very welcome.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I just stuck my Huntley Stage 2 ball bearing turbo in a few years ago...stock o-ring, no restrictor, no special gaskets. No leaks, no smoke, for last 25k miles.

Did Huntely change the stage 2 turbo in the last few years, such that mine did not have this issue, or was I just one of the lucky ones?

Are the new Garrett's (SFR, Vitesse, Huntley) really any better than mine?
Old 11-15-2003, 11:26 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's about you guys grow up a little bit eh??
Old 11-15-2003, 11:28 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with J.A. a few mos. ago & he stated that IHO the Garretts were a 50/50 hit or miss regarding smoking. He also stated that garretts were more effiecient than KKK.

Quick Reply: Vitesse turbo guys, are you using an oil restrictor?