Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Anyone know the part number of the spark plug wires included in the kit? Picked up a set of audi 5000 that would fit the coil side but would like the beru plug boots on the head side instead of the metal sleeves on the audi set.
In my case I got a complete set of sparkplug wires together with my VEMS PnP from Peep. But I liked the OEM spark plug connectors on the cylinder head side more than the straight ones provided by Peep. So I removed the spark plug connectors from the cable and attached a screw connection for the OEM spark plug connectors by my crimp pliers. If you need, I can post some pictures of my crimping tool.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DLS
The kit that peep sells is with metal sleeves.
H.F.B and i modified ours with beru contacts.
I have pictures in the vems pnp forum on FB.
Originally Posted by H.F.B.
In my case I got a complete set of sparkplug wires together with my VEMS PnP from Peep. But I liked the OEM spark plug connectors on the cylinder head side more than the straight ones provided by Peep. So I removed the spark plug connectors from the cable and attached a screw connection for the OEM spark plug connectors by my crimp pliers. If you need, I can post some pictures of my crimping tool.

Pictures would be great! Looks like a great opportunity for new tools! Does anyone know the connector type at the coil? Maybe better to use my Magnecor wires and just crimp on the proper terminals at coil.

Last edited by shortyboy; 06-24-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:23 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

May have found the solution to my issue.
What do you think it is ?
Cheers
Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951
What did you use to mount the wasted spark coil pack in this location?
I was leery of installing the coil pack on the engine out of concern for the coil's longevity (vibrations, etc), so I mounted mine where the cruise control actuator sits for now.

However, Bosch's spec sheet for this coil does say that mounting it on the engine is permissible:

https://www.finjector.com/documents/...0221503407.pdf

Be aware that the Bosch version does have a different cylinder number order than some of the other brands . . . .
Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Pictures would be great! Looks like a great opportunity for new tools! Does anyone know the connector type at the coil? Maybe better to use my Magnecor wires and just crimp on the proper terminals at coil.
This is my BERU tool set. Marked is the wire terminal BERU #0901300003 that you need to make your DIY ignition wire with OEM spark plug connector.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:23 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H.F.B.
This is my BERU tool set. Marked is the wire terminal BERU #0901300003 that you need to make your DIY ignition wire with OEM spark plug connector.
Nice! Tried looking for one locally here, none in Hawaii. Can't find a kit on ebay either. Do you have a source online?

Im thinking of just buying a new custom wireset from Magnecor. Does anyone know the proper terminal at the bosch coil?

Last edited by shortyboy; 06-27-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:37 PM
red44T
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone in here from NorCal? Could really use some help with VEMS install. Thanks!!
Old 06-28-2019, 02:43 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Tried looking for one locally here, none in Hawaii. Can't find a kit on ebay either. Do you have a source online?

Im thinking of just buying a new custom wireset from Magnecor. Does anyone know the proper terminal at the bosch coil?
You would need the Beru tool ZAZ3..........around $350 if you can find it
Old 07-02-2019, 05:55 PM
MikeV
Advanced

Kingsborne sells Beru terminals and boots, shipping prices are almost as much as the parts. Anyone know of another source?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM
MikeV
Advanced

Beru terminal and boot for Bosch coil with 4mm pin https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...eru-036035281a
Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
What do you think it is ?
Cheers

Ok, ive been waiting for the right time to update my whole running lean/stumbling issue every few restarts. As you all recall, i would need to restart the car a few times to get a good start. My previous setup before VEMS was Vitesse Racing MAF, SMT6 piggyback and Wasted spark. So when I purchased VEMS, I inquired if my wasted spark coil would be compatible in order to save some money. Peep deemed it compatible to use. After spending an incredible amount of time and money chasing the issue I have finally solved it, but not before I blew the ECU/ microprocess in the process.( confirmed my ecu was dead with a local rennlister here with a supercharged 944 with vems)I received my ecu back from repair and got started on reparing the ECU. It was in fact the WASTED SPARK COIL. LOL. Even though that was the first thing I replaced trying to solve the issue, it was actually the type of coil that was the issue. The dwell settings and or ignition drivers, could not make my ignition timing stick, Which in turn would cause my car to run poorly. So I finally picked up the same exact model coil offered on the VEMS website and had to find the proper ignition coils to use the coil. ( spent time buying and return wires cause there was no info on what part numbers the wires offered in the kit is ) The motor starts beautifully and faster than it ever did, even on cold starts. I also confirmed it working with the stock speed/reference sensors, but opted to still use 36-1 trigger setup as it starts up quicker with that setup, im guessing smaller spinning diameter of trigger wheel vs flywheel. Id like to thank the community for all the help theyve contributed into fixing my issue and I hope this info will help those in the future. For those with the wasted spark kit offered by Peep and still have the issue, I would still look into replacing coil, changing dwell settings and checking interference with trigger sensors.

Just a rundown of what Ive replaced until this point is as follows:
Bosch 044 fuel pump
both inlet and outlet fuel filters and lines at tank and pump/filter
siemens deka 80# high-z injetors
2 aeromotive fuel pressure regulators
currently using radium engineering 3 bar fpr with saddle adapter and fuel damper
3 sets of speed/reference sensors all brands, regapped the distance on these so many times, i can do it in 15mins now, lol
2 951 TPS
using ford 65mm throttle body with ford tps now
2 ford TPS
new battery
3 wasted spark coils, 2 MSD type units and 1 bosch unit from a land rover ( proper one to use with vems )
ignition switch
36-1 trigger wheel and trigger mount w/sensor
repair of ecu
and all shipping costs associated with all parts, since theres basically no parts available for my car here in Honolulu, HI.

but the bright side, all of those parts are now new and i know the car is runnning at its best now. Now time to clean up wiring and start retunning her.

Much Appreciated again

Aloha and Happy 4th of July

-Wayne
Old 07-07-2019, 08:49 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great news Wayne!

On another note, who's using Windows 7 on their tuning laptop? End of Life for Win7 in Jan 2020. Anyone running Win10 without issues?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:42 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Great news Wayne!

On another note, who's using Windows 7 on their tuning laptop? End of Life for Win7 in Jan 2020. Anyone running Win10 without issues?
I'm using this tablet on windows 10. With a cheap Bluetooth keyboard. I have the tablet mounted on the Ac vent. Works pretty well. No issues with connectivity.

A few pics of her, lots of work to do but just enjoying being able to drive her. Hand to swap out sfr intake manifold for stock because of the ignition wires.

Premium Top Performance NuVision 8-inch Full HD 1920 x 1200 IPS Touchscreen Tablet PC Intel 1.44 GHz Atom x5-Z8300 Quad-Core Processor 2GB RAM 32GB eMMC SSD Webcam WIFI Windows 10-Silver
Amazon Amazon

(Upgraded)Rii 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad,QWERTY Keyboard,LED Backlit,Portable Keyboard Wireless for laptop/PC/Tablets/Windows/Mac/TV/Xbox/PS3/Raspberry Pi .(i8+ Black)
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-13-2019, 05:39 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Picture of my tablet and keyboard setup.

The following users liked this post:
Cyberpunky (07-14-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Been using this pinout diagram but did not see it posted anywhere here. For future reference.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Cyberpunky (07-20-2019)

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install