Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Kla strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 08:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon Moeller

The triangulation will address a considerable amount of chassis flex in the front clip, in addition to the strut tower movement.

The strut towers do move fore/aft, and that movement has been addressed to some degree with Porsche made the TurboS, which is reflected in the additional bracing, clearly intended to reduce fore/aft strut tower flex which will adversely affect the front geometry. The triagulated bar simply takes it one step further.

Lastly, how is it possible for a triagulated bar to address strut tower movement any differently with respect to a simple strut to strut bar? The triangulated bar is still connecting the strut towers directly together just like a regular strut tower bar.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:14 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, let me rephrase what I said... the additional members resist fore and aft movement. I wasn't trying to say that a triangulated bar is any less than the standard brace, but questioning whether or not the extra bars would create that much of a cornering difference as opposed to a simple bar.

In other words, are the extra members of the triangulated bars meant to help in cornering, or in hard decelleration (to keep neutral balance and stability)?

Kevin
Old 11-15-2003, 03:05 PM
pikey7
Drifting

So let me get this right, if I remove my strut brace, I get a sort of active suspension setup from the camber and caster changes?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:21 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

actually yeah, lol... you might get even BETTER results of you mount the strut tower on a rubber assembly instead of that oem sheet metal crap
Old 11-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

Tony,

Sorry for the late post but I have been out of town this weekend. If you will go to the WWW.KLAINDUSTRIES.NET web site and look at the pictures under the 944 strut brace section, you will see what prevents the forward and aft movement in the 944. The strut tower is well braced to prevent this movement by the sheetmetal inner fender. For forward and aft movement to happen the sheetmetal would have to streach and flex the firewall. I'm not real concerned about this movement.

Ken
Old 11-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello!

Just wondering how many days shipping i can count with?
My relative is comming to Sweden from Maryland on Sunday and if i order this bar tomorrow will it reach him in time!?

Best regards
/Peter
Old 11-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

we can overnight it fedex if you want.

Ken
Old 11-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for fast reply!

And how much extra $ would that be ?
Whats the regular shippingprice otherwise?

/Peter
Old 11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

Peter,

Call Scott at 918 629 5839
Old 11-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

Default I calculated the strut tower flexing force in a 1 G turn.

Well, I finally calculated the lateral force induced into the top of the strut tower during a 1G turn. The following web site gives great info on the suspension calculations and set up a spreadsheet to do the calculations.

I measured the ball joint to the ground (5.2”) and the ball joint to the top of the strut (23.5”) on my wife’s 951 and plugged these and the weight (2899) into the sheet.

In a 1G turn the outside strut tower is subjected to 641.48 pounds of lateral force. Now, we can measure the deflection in the tower by attaching a small bracket to the top of the strut tower and applying 641.48 pounds of force pulling outward and seeing how far the tower flexes. Before we get into the discussion about both towers flexing please read the discussion at this web site.

http://www.e30m3performance.com/myt..._bar_theory.htm

Ken

Quick Reply: Kla strut brace