Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheel Refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 06:31 PM
reactor2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Refinishing

I have 16-year-old phone dial wheels that need to be refinished. Does anybody know what the process professional uses to make them look like new? I’m guessing sandblasting followed by a clear coat. I would like to do them myself to save some money. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:57 PM
mochman
Pro

Don't sandblast them you will scar the aluminum they usually chemically strip them paint them and then powdercoat them clear.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Sufnituning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got a set Cup 2 17" in bad shape so I try to sandblasted by myself.
After 1 hour wrestling with the factory coating I give up, and let the sandblasting company do the job for Me. ( And I have the commercial compressor 135 PSI and 200 pound mobile sandblaster ) Cost Me $70 .
After that I found the company locally how do powdercoating. Cost $350/ 4 wheel and the finis is superb!!!You can pick almost any color what you like.
BTW the salesman told Me next time don't sandblasted the wheel let the powdercoating comp. do the prep work because the sandblasting make the surface to rough and need the undercoat for the smoother finish.
Also the guy told Me if I paint the rims with automotive paint is always chipping do the big temperature deferentia. I hoop this help
Cs.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:13 PM
reno928s
Pro

I refinished a set of phone dials. First I used fine sandpaper to blend in any blemishes. Then I went to Home Depot and used a liquid deglosser and a rag and rubbed the entire wheel, this removed any grease or road debris. Next, I sprayed the rim using silver spray paint made by Wurth, there color matches the rims perfectly. After an hour I resprayed the rim with a second coat. One week later I sprayed the rim with a clear non-yellowing urethane. Six hours later a second coat of urethane. The reason for the one week delay is that you must let the paint harden a bit before your finishing coats. This is defitnitely a winter project. I did the front two rims one week and then the rears. Reno
Old 11-13-2003, 02:46 PM
reactor2
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I like the ease of spraying them myself but the professional look of powder coating. I've also heard of re-alloying wheels, anybody hear about that?

Quick Reply: Wheel Refinishing