Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Not a 951 but there's this boosted one from mattipuh on here-

Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default MM ITB's for S2 and 968

Attached are some pictures of the MM ITB's
I believe he had the solid works model for the 951 manifolds?
Max
Attached Images     
Old 03-24-2017, 09:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Very nice!!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:56 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default ITB logic

I think that ITB system really shines on a car that has a lot of camshaft overlap and that needs to also be driven at low rpms and low loads. I believe that the reason for this is that with a long valve overlap period, the engine tends to be unstable at part throttle and low rpms. Higher cylinder filling gives a stronger exhaust suction pulse, which then in turn gives a higher cylinder filling, etc. When the cylinder filling is poor, the spiral runs in the other direction. With a single-throttle plenum manifold that has a large plenum, this process is basically unchecked as there is a lot of air in the plenum for each cylinder to draw from. ITB system with the throttle close to the intake valve stabilizes this process, as with the throttles just cracked open there's limited volume of air between the throttle and intake valve. If the camshafts don't have much overlap, the benefits of the ITB system are in my opinion limited. If the camshafts have big overlap, the ITB system can produce a car that has nice manners when with the same camshafts the car would be unstreetable with a single-throttle plenum manifold.

This begs the question when would a turbo engine benefit from ITB system. By my logic, when the turbo engine has big camshafts with large valve overlap period. Such engines are relatively rare. For one, the exhaust has to work perfectly for big overlap to make sense. The 180-degree exhaust blowdown interference needs to be solved one way or another. The turbo-back exhaust needs to have a very low restriction. And the turbine needs to be sized in a way that the exhaust-to-intake (cycle average) pressure ratio is close to 1:1. If the system is otherwise built like that, using high overlap camshafts makes sense and then ITB system would improve drivability.

I can't get the exhaust pulses sufficiently separated in my project (not 951), can't figure out a way, so I can't use big overlap cams, and have therefore abandoned the turbo-ITB path.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Wouldn't the twin scroll turbo and exhaust setup like Patrick has help with the exhaust pulse issue you are referring too?

Originally Posted by ptuomov
I think that ITB system really shines on a car that has a lot of camshaft overlap and that needs to also be driven at low rpms and low loads. I believe that the reason for this is that with a long valve overlap period, the engine tends to be unstable at part throttle and low rpms. Higher cylinder filling gives a stronger exhaust suction pulse, which then in turn gives a higher cylinder filling, etc. When the cylinder filling is poor, the spiral runs in the other direction. With a single-throttle plenum manifold that has a large plenum, this process is basically unchecked as there is a lot of air in the plenum for each cylinder to draw from. ITB system with the throttle close to the intake valve stabilizes this process, as with the throttles just cracked open there's limited volume of air between the throttle and intake valve. If the camshafts don't have much overlap, the benefits of the ITB system are in my opinion limited. If the camshafts have big overlap, the ITB system can produce a car that has nice manners when with the same camshafts the car would be unstreetable with a single-throttle plenum manifold.

This begs the question when would a turbo engine benefit from ITB system. By my logic, when the turbo engine has big camshafts with large valve overlap period. Such engines are relatively rare. For one, the exhaust has to work perfectly for big overlap to make sense. The 180-degree exhaust blowdown interference needs to be solved one way or another. The turbo-back exhaust needs to have a very low restriction. And the turbine needs to be sized in a way that the exhaust-to-intake (cycle average) pressure ratio is close to 1:1. If the system is otherwise built like that, using high overlap camshafts makes sense and then ITB system would improve drivability.

I can't get the exhaust pulses sufficiently separated in my project (not 951), can't figure out a way, so I can't use big overlap cams, and have therefore abandoned the turbo-ITB path.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That ITB+turbo (or just ITB) question arises from time to time and there are always people who don't think that they are worth the effort and there are always people who swear by them.
IMO (after owning both, turbo+ITB and turbo+single TB), I would probably not build a track car without ones but for a street car may not be worth the effort though the engine behaviour changes so drastically that few people who have driven my race-car said they had hard time believing that it was nearly 40 year old 2valve engine that was originally designed as a diesel. Yet I use factory rods, pistons and crank which are heavy.
Theory is one thing, reality is another. I would just suggest to test-drive someones car and then decide if it is worth it or not.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:01 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

John Milledge produced a carbon fiber intake with individual throttle bodies. It is some the best engine **** out there. He only produce a few due to the expense. From my understanding the short run is not necessarily beneficial for engines that use MAP to tune their engines. Then again I take my car down to have it tuned as I have no skill at tuning.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:01 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Wouldn't the twin scroll turbo and exhaust setup like Patrick has help with the exhaust pulse issue you are referring too?
Yes it would. Also, the 951 does have the room to get some pulse separation from just the runner length. So the turbo-ITB may in fact be well suited for the intake-side turbo placement of the 951.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:03 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Raceboy
That ITB+turbo (or just ITB) question arises from time to time and there are always people who don't think that they are worth the effort and there are always people who swear by them.
IMO (after owning both, turbo+ITB and turbo+single TB), I would probably not build a track car without ones but for a street car may not be worth the effort though the engine behaviour changes so drastically that few people who have driven my race-car said they had hard time believing that it was nearly 40 year old 2valve engine that was originally designed as a diesel. Yet I use factory rods, pistons and crank which are heavy.
Theory is one thing, reality is another. I would just suggest to test-drive someones car and then decide if it is worth it or not.
Again, I don't want to pretend to be an expert when I'm not. What works, works. What's your cam duration and more importantly how much overlap do they have?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:07 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...dge-motor.html

Look at post #13
Old 03-25-2017, 05:43 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 138 Posts

Always solid and sound advice/information from someone who has real world experience. Raceboy's a valuable resource to the forum! Gold star, please.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Again, I don't want to pretend to be an expert when I'm not. What works, works. What's your cam duration and more importantly how much overlap do they have?
I use standard 924 Turbo camshaft, here's info from Dan's site: http://garage.ideola.com/top-DL-Inte...4Profiles.html

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Always solid and sound advice/information from someone who has real world experience. Raceboy's a valuable resource to the forum! Gold star, please.
Thank you Michael, much appreciated!
Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

I use standard 924 Turbo camshaft, here's info from Dan's site: http://garage.ideola.com/top-DL-Inte...4Profiles.html
Thanks, intetesting. The site has a minor typo in that the valve spring loads are swapped to wrong order, someone might want to alert the owner to correct that.

Just to be clear, i'm not trying to pretend to be an expert. Just trying to learn. Obviously, hearing first hand from someone actually running a turbo-ITB engine is a great learning opportunity for me. I've spoken to Hayabusa turbo builders and they all vouch for it. My previous understanding was that ITB system really starts helping and earning some return on the higher cost and complexity when the camshaft overlap gets big. Yet, your cams are quite conservative for a two-valve engine at the following overlap:

At .015" hot lash:
Intake opens 22.0° BTDC
Exhaust closes 18.0° ATDC

Do you have some huge valves and very high flow in your head?

More importantly, for the benefit of my education, why do you think ITBs make such a big difference in your engine?
Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

More importantly, for the benefit of my education, why do you think ITBs make such a big difference in your engine?
Certainly no expert in this area but I have logged pressure at different places in the intake track and when the TB is opened/closed a lot of dynamic activity takes place in the plenum and in fact the whole intake track. Pressure appears to bounce all over the place do to pressure waves. After doing this logging it became clear why the factory chose the location it did for the wastegate input. It seems to me that with ITB's the plenum would be in a much more stable state ready to deliver air more efficiently leading to improved responsiveness.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:40 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by refresh951
Certainly no expert in this area but I have logged pressure at different places in the intake track and when the TB is opened/closed a lot of dynamic activity takes place in the plenum and in fact the whole intake track. Pressure appears to bounce all over the place. After doing this logging is was clear to me why the factory chose the location it did for the wastegate input. It seems to me that with ITB's the plenum would be in a much more stable state ready to deliver air more efficiently leading to improved responsiveness.
Are you talking about time frames like an individual engine cycle, or a couple, here? Because even at only 3000 rpm, there's 100 intake stroke events per second. I'm wondering how there could be any perceivable difference there before the system is in its new equilibrium, if it it's just a couple of hundredths of a second? Not questioning the effect in principle that plenum vacuum has more potential energy than just thenport vacuum, just whether it could be perceptible in practice?

Out of curiosity, what system are you using to log the pressure at high enough sampling rate to get the resolution there? I've got one of those full TFX single cylinder systems, but we haven't yet installed it because it's much harder than it looks to mount on the 928 engine while not burning the sensors and still getting meaningful results. I am guessing just getting one of those bad boys reading from the plenum would be much easier.

Again, not telling anyone how it is, just asking questions about how ITBs work.

Quick Reply: Individual Throttle Bodies / 951