Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

To repaint or not to repaint!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
turbo951fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I've already rebuilt the motor and swapped out many large items like clutch, control arms, shocks, fuel pump, alternator, motor mounts, etc. After a repaint, this car's value should be in the $20,000cdn range at least. I mean it's almost brand new at that point.

I am sorry to tell you that you are wrong. You won't see your money back. The car has 295,000 km and is an 86? How much is my 89 worth with 104,000 miles (168,000 km), new paint job, refinished rims, new tires, top end rebuild, major done at 90 K miles, excellent interior, mechanically sound, needs nothing?

Last edited by turbo951fan; 11-13-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Stefan
Racer

Originally posted by turbo951fan
Quote:

How much is my 89 with 104,000 miles (168,000 km), new paint job, refinished rims, new tires, top end rebuild, major done at 90 K miles, excellent interior, mechanically sound, needs nothing, worth then?
Depends ....

Get an appraisal done and you'll know for sure. Very valuable piece of paper if your car is written off by an insurance company.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:33 PM
n2deep
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is almost finished. It's getting a high quality paint job including removing hood, doors hatch and glass. The front and rear bumpers were completely disassembled, mirrors off, door handles off, etc. If you repaint do it right. Make sure the jams are painted and stay with the original color.

However, what started to be a 4 week job will be 11 months and 1 week if I get it next week. If I knew what I was getting into I would never have done it. I'm tired of driving my 944-spec car waiting for my 951 to come home...but it's realllllly nice.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Stefan
I didn't like that they were going to take 2 months and the place seemed a bit disorganized. I have heard that they have a very good body man and do good work though.

The top of your original fender is faded? I actually have one fender on my car that was repainted by the PO and it has faded more than the rest of the original paint, which still looks very good (where there's no ding or rust).
Yeah, that's the messiest office I've ever seen, but my car never looked cleaner than when it came out of there.

Did you see the model aircraft anbd boat the owner had in there? Some of that work is what sold me on the place

I thought the fenders are original, but maybe not.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Stefan
Racer

Originally posted by n2deep
My car is almost finished. It's getting a high quality paint job including removing hood, doors hatch and glass. The front and rear bumpers were completely disassembled, mirrors off, door handles off, etc. If you repaint do it right. Make sure the jams are painted and stay with the original color.

However, what started to be a 4 week job will be 11 months and 1 week if I get it next week. If I knew what I was getting into I would never have done it. I'm tired of driving my 944-spec car waiting for my 951 to come home...but it's realllllly nice.
11 Months???! Wow ... there must be a story behind this.

Yes, mine will be totally dissassembled as well.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:37 AM
Stefan
Racer

Originally posted by Peckster
Yeah, that's the messiest office I've ever seen, but my car never looked cleaner than when it came out of there.

Did you see the model aircraft anbd boat the owner had in there? Some of that work is what sold me on the place

I thought the fenders are original, but maybe not.
Yes, I saw the model. The other fellow was veyr happy about his 930 paint job too. I was just thinking that if Pfaff can do brand new 911's they should be able to do an 86 951 quiet well. The lifetime warranty is nice as well in case there are any problems.

It's a tough choice not knowing any of the paint or body people personally. I'd guess your fenders have been re-done. The best looking paint on my car is the original stuff. Only the re-painted areas are fading which concerns me about a re-paint. I'll have to assume it was sub-quality work.

Even my old prelude has a badly faded section where a Honda dealer did some work on it. The factory paint held up MUCH better. I think it has to do with the temperature it gets baked on at the factory vs. after. You can really crank up the heat with no plastic on the car body. Not so easy afterwards.

Quick Reply: To repaint or not to repaint!