Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

944turbo

Are you using stock head studs?
Old 11-12-2003, 04:52 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Then maybe one should consider a larger dowel pin to hold the gasket in place. Making the bore bigger just introduces more possible problems. Gentlemen, engineering needs to be applied here.

As for the stock style gasket not working, my comment was general. For years, all that was available was this style of gasket. O ringing, knife edged sealing rings etc were added to these gaskets to make them work.
If anyone who knew what they were doing, and used one of the old style gaskets before, would always add some other type of sealing system as well. Please read these posts and try not to jump to conclusions that are not there. He who yells the loudest is not always the smartest.

Again, I eluded to the fact that the MLS gasket, new to the 944 world is a better design than the old style single layer type. But for years we ran with the single type, and when the engine application required, o rings etc were added. As for who started the use of these gaskets in the 944 world. Who cares. At least we have them now, and they are available in different sizes. Those that know, know.

Tony, you are knowledgable for sure, but you not always right. On this point I choose to differ.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:56 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Tony,

I have stock head studs. My lack of problems may be due to the fact that I run less than 1 bar of boost. I think the MLS gasket is necessary with the higher boost levels that many guys run. Lower boost levels do not push the integrety of a wfg. They do however deteriorate after many years of use.

944turbo

PS Tony what are you using for valve springs? I have large valves, titanium retainers, and (new) stock springs.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:58 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

944turbo

The issue is not boost pressure. It's cylinder pressure that's the issue.

My 2.5liter engine makes 385RWHP at 15.5psi boost.

Stock cars make well over 100RWHP less at 15.5psi boost.

The stock or wide fire gaskets get elongated at my 15.5psi boost level, and I'm running 75ft. lbs torque on the Raceware studs. Running 180 octane fuel, and I can guarantee there is no trace of detonation, I still elongate the widefire gaskets.

The only thing I can think of is that the Raceware studs are not stretch studs where the stock studs are.

Porsche used them for a reason, and I think this might be why.

Again... no proof, just a theory.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

944turbo

I'm running stock exhaust valves, titanium intake valves (stock size), Milledge Race valve springs, and titanium retainers.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:01 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

944turbo

Also... I've got a 2.5 turbo head with larger valves, race valve springs, lightweight retainers, and very substantial intake porting with custom valve guides, lifters, cam tower, and a Web Cam for sale if you know anybody that wants a nice setup.

It's used, but in good condition.

$1000 for all.

Quick Reply: What Head Gasket to use ?????