Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What weight oil and what brand of oil do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 08:36 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I used to run kendall Gt-1 dino, now I run Mobil 15w50
Old 11-07-2003, 08:37 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peckster if you check the archives, you will see that Mobil 1 actually lowers oil pressure compared to Amsoil, Redline, Swepco, and Kendall! Mark Kibort who race's 928's has reported on this topic more than once! Also i doubt that Rob king, John at vitesse, and Frank Fahey can't afford synthetic! These guy's have been in the business longer than most, and have many years of knowledge as to which oil is better! Give any one of those guy's a call and ask them if they think synthetic is better on the street than dino! They will all say no!
Old 11-07-2003, 08:56 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

My car was fed mostly Castrol in the 10w40 or 10w50 range. When that wasn't available it would get either Pennzoil or Valvoline. At 90,000 miles I took it apart to replace all the seals and the first ever headgasket. All the bearings looked absolutely great and there was very little sludge or carbon deposit buildups. So now with my new engine I will probably stay with Dino oil.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I've heard, it's not so much the dino vs synthetic thing as much as whether it's changed regularly. If you swap it out every 3K, the dino doesn't break down and gets the job done. Synthetics are more resistant to breakdown and make sense for turbos and cars that don't get driven as much.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:27 PM
mochman
Pro

oil really doesn't break down it's dillution that's the prob. mainly fuel dillution.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:55 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the 24 hours of Daytona. Had pit and garage passes ( are you's jealous or what). Checked out the activity in the garages. Alot of teams had mobile 1 15W 50 on their benches. 1 litre containers in cases like you'd buy in a department store! That tells me that a): mobile 1 is pretty good and/or b): any high quality oil will do the job. It's all about the marketing.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:04 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

TurboTommy Do you really think race teams use 1 litre containers? LOL Its called marketing, you said it yourself! Hmmm I would love to see a pit stop where the guy unscrews a 1 litre bottle and tops up the motor!! LOL No disrespect Turbo, but that is some funny s@#t! Professional race teams use huge drums, not 1 litre bottles!!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Stefan
Racer

I've had Dino 10w30 and Mobil 1 10w30 before the engine rebuild. The synthetic did find more ways to leak out of the engine before I had it rebuilt. Can't say I've noticed any perseptive difference between either oil when it's fresh.

After the rebuild I used regular Dino to break in the engine and then switched to Mobil 1 0w40 for fall/winter and Mobil 1 10w50 for summer. Runs nice, no leaks. I wasn't sure whether to stick to dino or go synthetic after the rebuild wither. My mechanic said it was up to the individual and both were good. Porsche seemed to like the 0w40 and I didn't want to go for oil changes that often and the car sits for a while so I thought the synthetic route would be best. It's thinner for cold weather winter driving so the car should start better anyway.

Interesting thing is that my friend has a boxster and he has a 24,000 km annual oil change and only uses Dino. Seems like a long interval to me. What's special about the boxster engine that allows this??
Old 11-08-2003, 02:04 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Amsoil 20-50 series 2000 racing oil for the summer...

Amsoil 10-40 high performance oil for the winter...
Old 11-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Area951
Track Day

Cool

I´m using the one and only MOTUL LeMans 5-50.

/// Area951
Old 11-08-2003, 01:32 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Hey jsonnen, I wasn't trying to be funny; I saw what I saw. Unless you think an oil manufacturer's marketing team planted opened bottles of their product in garages of a race event. I don't think they would go to that extent; really, you think that's possible? If that's the case, they pulled one over on me....Nah, they were using the stuff. My buddy and I had our noses in there for hours. This was sports car series; I don't think all the teams had drums of oil like maybe Nascar
And, unless there's an oil leak, I don't think they top up oil in the pits. Maybe I'm wrong, but do you think they'd have the time to properly check oil level (that's important) and add as required. Maybe you were just giving a funny example.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:18 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Turbo my bad! I wasn't trying to discredit or say thats not the case. Heck maybe race teams do use 1 litre containers? Just because i've never seen it doesn't mean its not the case. IMO i think synthetic is better suited to the closed enviroment of racing, than in street application! Turbotommy thanks for sharing your story and i appreciate your advice from past post's!

Respectfully J
Old 11-08-2003, 03:40 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

jsonnen, thanks for posting back. I also use synthetic (any brand will do); lighter weight in the cold season.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jsonnen
Peckster if you check the archives, you will see that Mobil 1 actually lowers oil pressure compared to Amsoil, Redline, Swepco, and Kendall! Mark Kibort who race's 928's has reported on this topic more than once! Also i doubt that Rob king, John at vitesse, and Frank Fahey can't afford synthetic! These guy's have been in the business longer than most, and have many years of knowledge as to which oil is better! Give any one of those guy's a call and ask them if they think synthetic is better on the street than dino! They will all say no!
When you tell me to ask them if dino is better in the street, are you saying they might think synthetic is better for the track? There are a lot of people here who do track days, including me, so that would be interesting to know if that's what you're inferring.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There's no situation where I'd take an equal weight dino over synthetic, simply no reason to. Forget cost, forget leaking, if it leaks you've got other issues that are simply being hidden by dino, and synth lubes better by not breaking down as much under pressure, breaks down less with heat, and holds viscosity better.

Sam

Quick Reply: What weight oil and what brand of oil do you guys use?