Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

does this spark look good

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default does this spark look good

like title says, does the spark look hot enough?
might be hard to tell from video

https://youtu.be/Hn5SUTYhckM
Old 02-05-2017, 11:28 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

is it just me or does it look like the spark boot on the right is sparking grounding out???
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Hard to tell exactly what is going on with the small spark at the wire/boot junction. Obviously you don't want spark there. The strength seems ok.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Hard to tell exactly what is going on with the small spark at the wire/boot junction. Obviously you don't want spark there. The strength seems ok.
im thinking its easier for the spark to travel through the boot and ground out there then travel through 15 feet of jumper cable to the negative terminal. Those are brand new spark wires.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by moalaska
im thinking its easier for the spark to travel through the boot and ground out there then travel through 15 feet of jumper cable to the negative terminal. Those are brand new spark wires.
Sorry to repeat myself, but I had a brand new set of wire -- same brand -- that would arc from the boots from the first minute they were installed. Car ran terribly until I swapped them out. The boot should not arc like that, assuming it's real and not a video illusion. The jumper cable is supplying at least as good a ground path as the block would....(assuming the other end is well grounded). That said, if the issue pre-dated these wires, then it would have to be a weird (less likely) coincidence that both sets were bad...but certainly possible.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Sorry to repeat myself, but I had a brand new set of wire -- same brand -- that would arc from the boots from the first minute they were installed. Car ran terribly until I swapped them out. The boot should not arc like that, assuming it's real and not a video illusion. The jumper cable is supplying at least as good a ground path as the block would....(assuming the other end is well grounded). That said, if the issue pre-dated these wires, then it would have to be a weird (less likely) coincidence that both sets were bad...but certainly possible.
ill do the lights off test and see if I notice anything, camera may pick it up better than naked eye. Pretty bummed I just bought those stupid wires.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:11 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is pointless to even answer that question. You cannot determine or even evaluate the strength of your ignition by looking at the spark at the plug, out of the engine while the system is under 0 (atmo) pressure.

Absolutely meaningless.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:01 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m42racer
It is pointless to even answer that question. You cannot determine or even evaluate the strength of your ignition by looking at the spark at the plug, out of the engine while the system is under 0 (atmo) pressure.

Absolutely meaningless.
Ahh thank you ill just crank up the atmospheric pressure in my garage and repost video.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:51 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Ahh thank you ill just crank up the atmospheric pressure in my garage and repost video.
You cannot make sense out of nonsense!!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:30 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

You cannot make sense out of nonsense!!
ok i appreciate your advice and am aware that pressure and conditions inside the cylinder affect spark conditions, however someone could still give an opinion based on the video if the spark looks weak or if they are concerned about the arcing coming out of the plug boots, i recieved some very good advice and thank you for yours as well I well take that into consideration.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:25 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

ok i appreciate your advice and am aware that pressure and conditions inside the cylinder affect spark conditions, however someone could still give an opinion based on the video if the spark looks weak or if they are concerned about the arcing coming out of the plug boots, i recieved some very good advice and thank you for yours as well I well take that into consideration.
You're welcome.

Remember the arcing from cracks in wires and boots will only get worse when the spark is under cylinder pressure.

It will always take the path (to ground) of least resistance.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Absolutely meaningless.
I disagree. Aside from checking resistance specs, this is a good way to analyze health of a coil. The color and thickness of the spark can be judged just fine this way. A weak coil will have a noticeably greenish blue and thin spark with little snap sound, whereas a good strong coil will have a white and relatively thick spark and a clear snap.

It's pretty hard for a DIY (or professional shop like me) to test 30-50,000V any other way.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:27 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Perry 951;13948935]I disagree. Aside from checking resistance specs, this is a good way to analyze health of a coil. The color and thickness of the spark can be judged just fine this way. A weak coil will have a noticeably greenish blue and thin spark with little snap sound, whereas a good strong coil will have a white and relatively thick spark and a clear snap.

It's pretty hard for a DIY (or professional shop like me) to test 30-50,000V any other way.[/QUOTE

For a pro shop to test a coil this way is like asking the weather man to predict the weather by holding his finger in the air.

A 944 has an inductive Ignition system. So the coil plays a huge part in the energy released into the cylinder.

The coil of choice will have spec's that can be researched probably on the wed. Then the coil can be tested in place (engine running) with a simple scope.

The dwell time, rise time and saturation level of the coil can be measured on the scope. These values can them be compared against a good known coil.

The DIY that suspects the coil to be bad can go to any pro shop with test equipment and these tests can be done.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's bring this conversation back to reality.

We're talking about a very common Bosch coil here; not a massively rare or expensive unit. The current production number is 0221118322 and costs about $80. For most shops, you're gonna pay an hour of diagnostic time for them to hook up a scope and check dwell and rise. Unless they are below $80 a hour, it's worthless to do so and a better value just to replace it. I also checked the Bosch site as well as my factory 951 manuals, Alldata, Identifix, and Motor and none of them list anything beyond primary and secondary resistance.

Without the charge time data, testing with a scope is about as accurate as viewing and listening to the spark. Comparing to another coil that you do not have specifications for is comparing nothing to nothing. Maybe you can contribute more to the community by supplying the information?

I've checked, looked at, and listened to hundreds of coils over the last 13 years of working on cars for a living, and probably even more in my 35 years of working on cars. You can tell a weak coil from a good one by the color, brightness, and sound of the spark.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:56 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

The nice thing about this world we live in, there is a technical level suitable to all pocket books.

Quick Reply: does this spark look good