Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who's running what aftermarket steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019 | 09:32 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jllewan
What did you do ? Does the non airbag turn signal switch just eliminate the drivers airbag electronics ? Will a dash warning light be my next issue?
A airbag car turn signal switch does not use the copper contact shown above, it uses the clock spring to ground the horn. To install an aftermarket wheel we will be removing the clock spring. To be able to use the horn you need to setup the horn circuit to match a non airbag car. So remove the clock spring and either install the copper contact (which is sold separately) into your current switch (which is a pain) or buy a non airbag turn signal switch which already has it installed. To hook up the horn I believe the horn wire is the one that has a black plastic tube looking connector. I believe I cut the mating connector from the clock spring and made a jumper wire that connects the factory horn connector (car side) to the back of the turn signal switch. You can verify this by having the ignition in the on position an hooking a jumper wire from it to the splines of the steering shaft, this will complete the circuit and beep the horn. Once you verified the wire, connect it to the back side of your switch where the copper contact pin pokes out. It should be noted that while it's cheaper to buy the contact separately, it require some precision drilling to get the contact into the proper position. I first bought the contact, then ended up buying a non airbag switch after the drill walked on me messing up my old switch .

See photo

Here's a pic of the clock spring ( the black connector you will use to make the horn wire talked about above) cut it with as much wire as possible left with the connector.

As far as disabling the warning lights I opted to bypass the entire airbag module and remove it. The module can cause issues with the car starting when they become faulty so I appealed to me to eliminate it. I left my passenger airbag installed in the dash but it's left unplugged as I removed all the airbag wiring and module under the dash. You could simply do the two wire snip method and retain the module but it really depends on what you prefer. Both work. Link for both methods http://www.944s2.com/how-to/how-to.htm

Last edited by mahoney944; 05-03-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2019 | 11:07 AM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much for this info. Much appreciated !!!
Old 05-23-2019 | 02:12 PM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

I have my new steering wheel installed and horn works Now I need to work on the warning lights. When you removed the airbag module, what steps did you take? The link doesn't explain that portion. Once you unplug the 7 prong connector, then what? Do you have any pictures? I'm always interested in removing weight .
Old 05-24-2019 | 07:09 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jllewan
I have my new steering wheel installed and horn works Now I need to work on the warning lights. When you removed the airbag module, what steps did you take? The link doesn't explain that portion. Once you unplug the 7 prong connector, then what? Do you have any pictures? I'm always interested in removing weight .
The link tells you what pins on that connector ( car side) that need jumped together. I cut the matching plug off the module, removed the extra wires from that plug, and connected the two in the plug the link says to connect. Then you just plug the connector into the car harness and it's bypassed. Finally any wires connected to the orange airbag module can be removed. I believe there are two crash sensors, one in each front corner of the footwell, the orange control box ( use vise grips to remove the safety head bolts), one wire that runs to the passenger airbag (just pulls out), and the wires running to the old clock spring/ airbag on the driver side. If it connects to the orange airbag module it can be removed.

Last edited by mahoney944; 05-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2020 | 01:10 PM
sanchitrathi
AutoX

@Bmuldoon

That looks really great in the 944 interior! I have been looking to get the same steering wheel for my car. Is it possible that you could show more pictures of the wheel within the car so I can make my mind up if I would like it in my car?
Could you also direct me to a link to the steering wheel, is there a part number difference between the old and new wheels. (since you mentioned the newer one has a better crest)
And lastly do you have any pictures from your installation or have any instructions to how to do it? Because far as I know, the wheel comes only as a standalone wheel and 6 screws/bolts.

Thanks for sharing your work and thanks in advance!

Regards,
Sanchit

Last edited by sanchitrathi; 08-09-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to tag user
Old 08-16-2020 | 12:01 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sanchitrathi
@Bmuldoon

That looks really great in the 944 interior! I have been looking to get the same steering wheel for my car. Is it possible that you could show more pictures of the wheel within the car so I can make my mind up if I would like it in my car?
Could you also direct me to a link to the steering wheel, is there a part number difference between the old and new wheels. (since you mentioned the newer one has a better crest)
And lastly do you have any pictures from your installation or have any instructions to how to do it? Because far as I know, the wheel comes only as a standalone wheel and 6 screws/bolts.

Thanks for sharing your work and thanks in advance!

Regards,
Sanchit

Installation is very straight forward with a Sparco Hub. I actually bought the wheel and hub a while back and did a test fit but haven't kept it on the car. DM me if you're interested in purchasing the wheel and hub.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2020 | 02:32 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Installed a lightly used Nardi yesterday.

Looking for a Porsche crest horn button if anyone has an extra one laying around.

Old 08-16-2020 | 07:50 AM
sanchitrathi
AutoX

Hey @Bmuldoon
Thank you very much for your reply and thank you very much for the offer, however I'm afraid I have already purchased the wheel from Porsche Motorsport. I live in the Netherlands and I got in touch with a team from the Porsche Cup Benelux and they ordered from Porsche Motorsport for me. So my wheel is now on the way from Wiessach.

Thank you once again for your reply and for the offer, may I ask you why you chose to not install the wheel inside your car? Just curious

Kind Regards,
Sanchit
Old 08-16-2020 | 10:52 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Nothing wrong with the the wheel, it feels great and the smaller diameter fits nicely. However as my car is only for street use, the wheel blocks your view of the gauges so isn't overly practical from that perspective.
Old 08-16-2020 | 02:16 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

My turn!

I have always wanted the steering wheel closer (I'm 6'2" and my seat is two-clicks forward from the rear-most fore-&-aft setting). I've thought it strange Porsche never had a telescope feature.

With manual steering, I also prefer a big diameter wheel, something like the stock 380mm airbag wheel (note "Sport" stock wheels are 363mm)

Currently, I am running a period-correct Momo. It came from an 80s 911 and even has a crest horn button. Did not pay much for it at all (it's a little worn).

I also purchased a used "sport" stock wheel with the M018 extension. The wheel was very cheap--all torn up--but had the coveted extension. Many of the used stock wheels have it; not many sellers even realize this. The wheel with adapter cost far less than finding the adapter only--which, if you find it, goes for a hundred or more.

I removed the M018 adapter (in PET it's called "elevated hub") and mounted it to the standard Momo 7004 hub late model 944s; it's enough to make it very comfortable for me. Hey, I grew up on old cars and this modern outstretched-arms style drives me nuts!

To mount the M018 adapter to the Momo adapter, I drilled & tapped holes (there are three holes). Using a very large diameter drill bit I bought just for this purpose, I had to drill out the splines on the Momo adpater. This way, I mount the M018 (with Momo adapter mounted to it) to the steering shaft and then I can get the big nut on. It's pretty easy to do and more pics on my album: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dOYjRzamNvVXNB

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 08-16-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quick Reply: Who's running what aftermarket steering wheel?