Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'86 951 Center-Lock Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
Ha, this is a nice idea but if I were to go down this route it would be all or nothing. There are a few companies that are willing to machine a custom set of phone dials with a center locking setup... the catch? The lowest estimate was $6K!!
That is cheap. You could use an adapter, I think that's how original knock offs were done.

^Studs are not tapered, which makes no sense. If the wheel bottoms out on the hex flange of each stud, that is a terrible design. It would never sit right. If the wheels really do bottom out on the hub, then I imagine the hexagonal shape would beat up the lug bores pretty good.

--

Personally I've never understood why people bother machining older wheels - they are already fatigued. If you're going through the trouble, start with a fresh forged cylinder.

To do it properly you'd need custom hubs and spindles. Easiest would be designing them to fit already-in-production wheel. Probably 20k at that point. Add 10k if you want ground-up custom Phonedials.

You could use 924 GTR parts, don't think they would mate up to the pick up points though. I think they used 935 hubs.

As I implied before, it isn't a functional modification unless you have all the tools to make it work correctly. Air jacks too.

Otherwise it is just a cosmetic mod that is a serious PITA to work with.

In the 80's they made a centercaps for Porsches that basically looked like a giant nut.

If you still really want centerlocks, I suggest you head over to Pelican and do a search. Some of the 911 guys have used adapters and such, or sourced new hubs.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: '86 951 Center-Lock Conversion