Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP!! Is it the clutch, tranny or CV??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 06:08 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!! Is it the clutch, tranny or CV??

Just went to the store and noticed a slight hesitation from a red light when pulling away in first. I hit the gas in a normal driving fashion and it took a second for the gear to engage then the car moved. It did it a few more times then I actually heard a thud/clank, (not load, but noticable) then it engaged and moved. Then it stop the noise and hesitation and drove fine. And it only did this in 1st gear.

I do not drag the car, hard lauch or drop the clutch in high revs and launch it. I do drive it hard and go through the gears hard on occasions, but that is it. NO hard lauching.

Was this just a fluke or something on its way to going bad???
Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Provided one of the CV's is not broken, It kind of sounds like your clutch slave or throw out bearing hung up a little and allowed the clutch to slip a bit. The popping sound coud have been one of the two freeing itself up.

I doubt it is your CV's as they are a direct link and there shouldn't be a hesitation unless you twisted one really badly (not likely) and had extreme axle windup, or spun the CV on the splined shaft. I think a CV's either going to be broke or not broke.

A broken tooth on 1st gear could cause this but I think it would be fairly repeatable and more dramatic. I wonder if a broken trans mount could cause this? Are you sure you didn't run over a Honda?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like a clutch or tranny issue to me. Symptoms do not indicate CV joint problem.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:43 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Any noise in reverse? Try backing up to see if there's any noise! My car made a clunk in reverse and it ended up being the main shaft in the tranny!
I'm waiting for a 89 s with lsd as we speak!! My car was a one owner cream puff with all the maintenance from day one! The PO never even got on the boost! Just bad luck, my car has 118,000 miles, oh well!
Good luck!
Old 11-03-2003, 07:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Ok, I thought clutch also. Yes it was the first time it did this and only did it a couple of times. Any way to service this as opposed to just changing out the clutch???

If it was just the bearing getting hung up, is that a good sign the clutch is about to got or just a fluke thing??

Nope, no noise or problem in any other gear including reverse.

I did just change out rear tires and they hook up really well, but as I said, I dont' drop the clutch on it or hard launch. Meaning it's not that the old tires were just spinning insted of the clutch and the new ones aren't.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Is it the clutch, tranny or CV??