Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help, 97 951 coil is constantly sending electricity

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help, 97 951 coil is constantly sending electricity

I have an 87 951 and last month I was in a relatively minor accident with the damage confined to the front right corner. I drove the car home 40 minutes after the accident without a problem. For the past week and a half I'm trying to figure out why when the key is turned 3/4 of the way the coil sends out a constant never ending charge of electricity. I changed coils, no help. I thought the coil was grounded so I cut the green wire and ran a brand new wire directly to pin #1 in the DME and that didn't help. The car will start and run for 3 or 4 seconds. Could the black wire be grounded somewhere? I bought a new ignition switch but haven't installed it yet. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks, Kevin
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

I meant 87 951
Old 12-02-2016, 03:40 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

The black wire gets +12v directly from the switch. You could recreate this too, or use a relayed hot from the battery.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:00 AM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Default fixed

Thanks to John Vitesse, I finally got my 951 running. He told me to take the KLR off and see what happens. I did and opened up the KLR. Then I remembered that I sold my Lindsey chips. So for the past 2 weeks, I've been trying every trick in the book to get it to run and there was no KLR chip in the car. After I put a different KLR chip in, it didn't start up. I had to take the DME relay out along with taking out the spark plugs and let it crank all the fuel that I've been injecting into the cylinders for the past 2 weeks. Now it runs fine. Thanks John! Kevin

Quick Reply: Need help, 97 951 coil is constantly sending electricity