Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Garrett GTX-R genII turbos.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Does that mean you will have an even more impressive Dyno number in your future??????
We'll see
Old 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

With all the records you have broken this year what else than breaking the dyno could you boast about next. Really.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Patrick, I'd at least upgrade to the GTX3582R. That way you don't need to buy new housings ect and you still have all 3 to play with. At least that way you can play with more HP with out working the turbo as hard as the GT.
Sorry, I mistyped the turbo. It is the GTX3582r Pauly. I'd probably jump on the new 84 but all I can hear in my head is Paul saying "We need torque, not more and more power".
Old 12-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
but all I can hear in my head is Paul saying "We need torque, not more and more power".
He's a real aftermarket cams dream breaker, isn't he?
Old 12-08-2016, 03:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Lol...he fondly remembers the 3.1lt 8v and it's tq vs the 2.5lt 8v and it's naturally peakier characteristics.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Thom
Race Car

He should get the best of both worlds with that new one. Perhaps run it in with the current turbo and go bigger at a later point.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it might be worth doing a twin scroll setup with the crossover and going with the 84rs.
At the end of the day it's all about splitting the pulses to the turbo to get better response from it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thom, that's what I'm probably going to do.

Pauly, don't see that they offer a twin scroll housing for these yet? From what I understand it makes no sense to just do a twin crossover into a single scroll housing.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

There is that. I don't know if that an ATP housing or Garrett.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thom
With all the records you have broken this year what else than breaking the dyno could you boast about next. Really.
If I continue racing I need to switch to the highest class that allows full slicks and compete with tubed frame cars with a 1:1 weight/power ratio so being able to set outright records on slicks with that competition will be difficult to say the least. Better described as impossible
Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
If I continue racing I need to switch to the highest class that allows full slicks and compete with tubed frame cars with a 1:1 weight/power ratio so being able to set outright records on slicks with that competition will be difficult to say the least. Better described as impossible
I'm not sure which class you'd compare closes to for WTAC, but I and a few others would love to see your car do a lap at Eastern Creek and post a time.

It looks to be more areo than open (Patricks) and more restrictions than pro (Rods)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

I'm not sure which class you'd compare closes to for WTAC, but I and a few others would love to see your car do a lap at Eastern Creek and post a time.

It looks to be more areo than open (Patricks) and more restrictions than pro (Rods)

It would fall in the WTAC Pro/Pro Am class but the aero in my previous class here in Sweden has been more regulated than the WTAC Pro.

AMB Aero is designing a new front and rear diffuser for me so the aero will be more like current WTAC Pro next season. The Unlimited class here in Sweden have less rules than WTAC Pro. But we will deliberately reduce the size a bit since we run on a lot of different tracks and some of them are small and have very aggressive curbs so you can't run with too big front diffuser etc or else you will have to alter your driving lines so much it would hurt lap times.

This is one of the reasons it's hard for an overseas team to compete with the very best at WTAC because we simply cannot afford to design the whole car solely for Eastern Creek. Plus the fact we can't even do a shakedown at the track to get some data and take it from there. It's all guesses or simulation in best case and arrive with a car setup based on that.

If I would go to WTAC it would be 2018 but without some major sponsors it can't happen..
Old 12-10-2016, 11:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

There is that. I don't know if that an ATP housing or Garrett.
When I was doing a bit of research sometime ago about twin scroll, I was advised to be very precise about the size of the headers and X overs. Obviously it's ideal to build the entire plumbing system as a whole. IC, T-B, Plenum, runners, head/cam, headers, X-over, turbo, turbo back... Not always easy to design something like this without serious computer time. So most of us wind up via trial & error, guesswork, holding a wet finger in the air.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
When I was doing a bit of research sometime ago about twin scroll, I was advised to be very precise about the size of the headers and X overs. Obviously it's ideal to build the entire plumbing system as a whole. IC, T-B, Plenum, runners, head/cam, headers, X-over, turbo, turbo back... Not always easy to design something like this without serious computer time. So most of us wind up via trial & error, guesswork, holding a wet finger in the air.
I do understand your point. Since you have the GTX just leave it, get it on a dyno, make adjustments with housings and you'll see where you're at.

That way at least you'll know if you do or don't need a new turbo.

Gustaf, I've been seeing some progress on your facebook & pages. very neat indeed. It would be nice if all the time attack rules where the same, then makes it easier for one to run around the world.
I do understand the different tracks require different aero packages.
But we know you'rs isn't exactly what you'd call slow.. neither is Patricks, Or Rods.
Can't wait to see your new aero.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Also as Rod mentioned, he's had issues with those ATP housings so I'm loath to go with one of theirs unless they can prove they've sorted those problems out.

Quick Reply: Garrett GTX-R genII turbos.