Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1987 944 Turbo, both airbags deployed

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:35 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1987 944 Turbo, both airbags deployed

Hey guys I need some serious help. I was out driving my 87 951 in the rain. I have never had a problem with my car sliding or losing control in the rain or snow. So I was coming up to a curve to get off a main road and I downshifted. After downshifting one of my back tires locked up and I slid off the road into the grass. That would have been fine, but with my ****ty luck there was a fire hydrant there. My right front corner hit the hydrant and both air bags deployed. My entire front trim piece came off, the right side bumper mount is pushed in and bent the metal behind it inward toward the radiator. The car started right back up and there doesn't seem to be any mechanical issues. I picked up my front bumper cover, put it in the hatch back and drove 30 minutes home. So now my windshield is shattered, the right headlight mount cracked in half, the passenger's side dash and glove box area are all bent up, I need a new bumper and mount along with the bumper cover and right fog light. Is it even worth spending thousands and thousands just on the airbags and it's system. I don't even know where to get new airbags. I didn't have collision because I was just about to switch to classic car insurance. So I have to pay out of pocket. I spent the whole summer rebuilding the head, HG, ARP head studs. Vitesse MAF, Fabspeed Exhaust, 55 pound injectors, larger Broadfoot turbo. So I'm sick over this. Can anyone give me advice about if it's worth putting in new airbags and how to fix the steering wheel and dash where the bags came out. Thanks, Kevin Anderson
Old 10-22-2016, 01:47 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I have the complete steering wheel out of my 1990 944 S2 I could be persuaded to part with.

$200 shipped to your door.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:42 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

No is a goner send me a text
Old 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Default airbags

Luis are you serious? It's just damage to the front right corner and the airbags went off. There is no way it's totalled. I drove the damn thing 1/2 hour home. Yeah it's a couple thousand dollars in parts and work, but I don't think it's ready for Larts Graveyard Don't F with me like that, I'm sick about this as it is. If it did get parted out, I could definitely get a nice running 951. The head, turbo, innercooler, exhaust and Vitesse MAF would sell for around $4000, then the Konis, springs, newly covered seats, rear Hatch, DME, KLR That's another $2000. Maybe I will send it to you. You've parted out cars nicer than mine.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVIN ANDERSON
Luis are you serious? It's just damage to the front right corner and the airbags went off. There is no way it's totalled. I drove the damn thing 1/2 hour home. Yeah it's a couple thousand dollars in parts and work, but I don't think it's ready for Larts Graveyard Don't F with me like that, I'm sick about this as it is. If it did get parted out, I could definitely get a nice running 951. The head, turbo, innercooler, exhaust and Vitesse MAF would sell for around $4000, then the Konis, springs, newly covered seats, rear Hatch, DME, KLR That's another $2000. Maybe I will send it to you. You've parted out cars nicer than mine.
You'll have to take things apart to see how damaged everything is. A competant body shop should be able to fix it for you. Might need a new dash. The dealer still sells airbags, but they are very expensive.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:24 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess we now know that 30 year old air bags still work. AMAZING!

Post pics! Sounds repairable.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:55 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

The worst damage is from the right bumper shock pushing the metal it mounts to back an inch. Also about an inch from the strut tower the metal is crumpled, probably from the bumper shock being jammed back. All the rest is bolt on stuff. Do you think a good bodyshop can pull the metal forward? I've seen those frame straightening machines fix pretty messed up frames. I just need about an inch pulled forward on the right side. I'll take pics tomorrow. It's just my luck. If the hydrant was in a different spot I would have slid on the grass and just kept going.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:35 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Default pics

Here are ips of the damage
Attached Images               
Old 10-23-2016, 03:49 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

I've gotten some good offers for air bags. The damage that bothers me is where the frame buckled under the power steering reservoir. I hope the body shop I'm taking it to can pull it straight out with those big racks they use for frames. It was the bumper shock being pressed all the way in that caused it. I've seen cars looking 5 times as bad as mine leave the shop as iff nothing happened. Most of the parts are bolt on. I'll buy one of those nose clips so they can just use the metal from that. The radiator isn't leaking and the fans work. I'm still sick about this. If that hydrant was 10 feet away, I would have slid on the grass and kept going.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:53 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Kevin, let me encourage you by saying that I.............................
Old 10-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Darwantae951

Kevin, shouldn't be a horrible repair. My friend had similar damage on his 944S and it was repaired using a donar car. It isn't a lost cause. Good luck
Old 10-23-2016, 08:37 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Default damage

Wait I don't understand. His car, the one with the damage got fixed or he put his engine in the donor car?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Luis you didn't finish what you were going to say. If you have a good 951 roller with no engine or anything I wouldn't mind putting my engine and seats in it and you could carve this up. Thats if this is DOA.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:00 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Pull the frame, bolt a few new parts on and have the front repainted. I have a front bumper, they ship pretty cheap via greyhound.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by KEVIN ANDERSON
Wait I don't understand. His car, the one with the damage got fixed or he put his engine in the donor car?
No he did not swap shells. He cut he areas out of a donor car and repaired his frame rail.

Quick Reply: 1987 944 Turbo, both airbags deployed