Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheap (but hacky) DME breakout box

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:23 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cheap (but hacky) DME breakout box

I was looking for an easy way to monitor various DME inputs and outputs. There's a breakout box made by OTC with a special Bosch adapter, but it's pretty expensive. I contemplated making something out of an old DME connector, but I would have to get a junk DME and remove the connector from that too. I thought there must be other things out there that use the same connector so I spent some time browsing on eBay.

When I saw this I had a feeling it might be a match, and after studying the pics I came to the conclusion it should be a perfect fit.

It's designed to work with a breakout system called "Rotunda" for Ford vehicles. After some investigating I found out that this piece is the adapter for the ABS unit on a 1993 Mercury Villager. I decided to take a chance on it, and it turns out to be a perfect fit.

The down side is that the actual output connector (which I found out is a Ford 60 pin EEC-IV PCM connector) is pretty obscure and even harder to find than the motronic connector. But it actually functions as a breakout box already since I can easily get my test leads with crocodile clips onto the pins - way easier than trying to get probes to fit through the back of the DME connector pins. I spent some time figuring out the pin mapping and found it pretty handy once I had that figured out.

Still, I'd like something a little easier to work with so I think I will make up some leads with molex pins. For $30 shipped it's pretty handy and way cheaper than anything else I could find that that would work.

Quick Reply: Cheap (but hacky) DME breakout box