Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch pedal and engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:06 PM
daross951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal and engine vibration

When I begin depressing my clutch pedal, I feel varrying degrees of vibration (depends on gears and rpms). I also have a sligth vibration felt in the gear shift handle around 3200 rpms. I've had the balance shaft belt check/adjusted, but it didn't correct the problem. Any ideas?

Is this an early warning sign that my car would like a new clutch for Christmas?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 10-21-2003, 12:41 AM
lejams
Pro

Sounds like a throw-out bearing starting to go.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:32 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a similar problem two days ago on the 924/944/951/968 forum. I also have an '87 951 and about 100K miles. Clutch, lever, bearing, etc was done 13K miles ago at Porsche dealer. I can't believe I need clutch work and I am hoping the problem goes away.

Is your clutch perfectly smooth when the engine is off? Does it only vibrate when the pedal is being depressed or released? If you pump it 5 times quick does the vibration go away? Has the problem only started recently with cold weather? Does the vibration vary with engine speed not drive train speed? How old are your motor mounts?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:38 AM
daross951
Intermediate

Motor mounts are less than three years old and have recently been checked. Also had the clutch master cylinder replaced a while ago. The vibration only appears when I initially press the clutch in to shift (not at idle). The vibration started about 6 months ago and doesn't seem to be affected by weather changes. The vibration seems to be more apparent in the lower gears when I really get on the car.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:23 AM
lejams
Pro

Originally posted by daross951
The vibration only appears when I initially press the clutch in to shift (not at idle). The vibration started about 6 months ago and doesn't seem to be affected by weather changes. The vibration seems to be more apparent in the lower gears when I really get on the car.
You are describing the exact type of symptoms I had which was caused by the throw-out bearing going bad. The vibration I felt was almost tickling my foot in a certain RPM range. Except for the annoyance, you can still operate the car for some time, but eventually it will get worse.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal and engine vibration