Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need advice! - Tragically totaled '86 951 in great shape

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Markoneus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, a lot of people advised me to buy the salvaged car back (for $1500/ 2k, whatever it would be) and then just part it out to make more money. Great idea, but in NYC, it turns out if the value they pay you back is over $5k, you are legally not allowed to buy it back. If I'd gone though Geico (the ins company of the guy who rear ended me) and dealt w/ them, then I would be a "third party" somehow and been able to buy it back. Of course I only found this out in the end after spending 2 months and having a number I was happy with. I didn't want to go through the whole process again and risk not getting as much. But the car will be up for auction here some time in the next 2 weeks I believe, and the engine should be pretty much perfect, and had over $10-12k of work done on it in the last 4 yrs.

https://www.iaai.com/Auctions/Branch...branchCode=623
Insurance Auto Auctions
47 Newberrry Rd
East Windsor, CT 06088
Old 08-05-2016, 07:30 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Whaaa? I bought my car back from USAA no problem. Buyback value was $2500 on a car that they valued at $18k.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:53 PM
Markoneus
Intermediate

It's a New York State thing.

You're in Denver, right?

I've learned there are all kinds of regulations in NY that no other states have to deal with.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 964 Posts

Yes the same happened to my 86 a few years ago my buy back was high the ins. Co. Told me Porsche brings in good money at auctions no matter the condition
Mike
Old 08-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Craiger
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Markoneus, so sorry to hear of your accident. Once you prepared us for b4 and after pics, I cringed as I scrolled down and saw 1st photo. The pics were every bit as painful as I thought they'd be. I assume you posted your ? because you wanted objective answers. You have an emotional attachment to the car which clouds your situation.

More than a few have told you $9 or 10,000 and I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. They have offered you $9000 and I think your best bet would be to say, ok I'll take that if you let me keep the hulk for parts. If they say yes to get you out of their hair, you win.

If they won't let you keep the hulk, ask how much you can buy if for. If they say less than around 2 or 3 grand, you'd still be money ahead parting it out IMHO. You have lots of goodies. The problem if you live in NYC, you likely have no place to strip the car. Find a friend with a garage within reasonable distance and pay him enough to make it fair. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Markoneus
Intermediate

Hey Craiger. Looks like you missed my post on the page before about where my 2 months of negotiating with my insurance company landed me:

I got $11,000 for it in the end.

Glad I stayed a squeaky wheel.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not disagreeing with what has already been posted BUT...

My 86 951 was totaled back in 2011 and I managed to push the insurance company up to a little over $13,000 including me keeping the wreck.

If you are not in a hurry for the money, keep pushing the insurance company. $10K would be a good number anything above that helps ease the pain of losing a car that has been part of the family.

Quick Reply: Need advice! - Tragically totaled '86 951 in great shape