Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FYi: Purchased and installed new street tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:43 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYi: Purchased and installed new street tires

After researching and sweating and deliberating I pulled the trigger earlier this week and bought a set of new tires. For full disclosure, my vehicle, which I have only been driving for 2 weeks, came with 20 year old Goodyear Eagle GT II's (all season) which were dry rotted and rock hard. Anything would have been an improvement. So after much deliberation I settled on a Summer only Ultra class tire, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires in stock dimensions. I chose these becasue they we re an upgraded version of the Bridgestone RE760 tires which were well regarded as a high performance driving tire, and I wanted a couple of things: very good dry taction combined with very good ride. I intend, and have been, driving this car to work a few times a week (5 miles) and taking longer rides in the evening and on weekends, so ride was important and traction, too. I will do x-cross maybe once or twice a year, so 95% street driving. I considered the Conti extreme DW (Maximum category) and the RE 11's (extreme) but for my style of spirited driving, I wanted a blend/compromise and was willing to give up some dry traction for a more enjoyable ride - soft I know, flame away I deserve it. So I settled on these. Also, if I get into tracking/autocross I am willing to buy a seperate set of rims and tires.

Verdict -my initial impression is that these tires are amazing! Really softened the ride and improved handling. But it is too soon to tell because of the 20 year old pieces of granite that were on the car. Handling on the exit cloverleafs is better and the ride was immediately improved by a considerable margin. I will update later, in a couple of months, if anyone is interested. And the cost - fully installed including shipping cost through Tirerack - $470. Not bad. Hopefully some of you find this type of feedback helpful.

Quick Reply: FYi: Purchased and installed new street tires