Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear Wheels Different Offset Position?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:32 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Wheels Different Offset Position?

So I've owned my 87 about 4 months, and an alignment has been on the to do for a while. I got 16x8 D90s all around for track days, and noticed the fronts filled the arches well, but the rear looked small. I bought and just installed Eibach 23mm spacers on the rear, and because now they are closer to the arches I noticed that the driver's side sticks out almost a 1/2" farther than the right side! WTF! It always tracked straight and drove well, but I noticed from the tire wear that the right rear had more camber. I was going to get an alignment after the spacers, but now I'm worried. Because of the trailing arm arrangement is wheel position like this something that can be adjusted in alignment or is something seriously wacky?

Last edited by NCLA951; 05-29-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Title
Old 05-30-2016, 11:59 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Has this only happened to me? No signs of past crash damage.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:22 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the trailing arms part numbers 951331513 & 951331514? I have a similar problem where right rear tire is sitting 1" inward. I added a spacer to fix but it winds up someone installed a 924s trailing arm which is somehow shorter than 944 turbo. I have a correct rebuilt unit built on the bench to permanently fix. Take the rear wheels off and measure distances to the hubs from trans short stub.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Your camber issue might be the cause of some of what you see.

From the factory (so I've read), the body is slightly off center from the suspension to counteract driving position, which would create what you've noticed.

I'm not convinced that is correct though, as I've heard of it going both ways (left/right) irregardless of LHD or RHD bodies. I would guess it is merely a tolerance when the entire rear subframe got bolted up. Maybe this only affects Oktoberfest cars..... LOL.

Nevertheless, you should still make sure everything is correctly fastened, in good condition and nothing is too worn.

You should also follow numbskull's advice; make sure your parts are symmetrical.

AFAIK it is not something you can adjust via an alignment. After the alignment make sure that your tires don't rub on the body either on the outside lip or inside well.

Also, you should regularly inspect your cast D90s for cracks. Forged wheels crack too, but less frequently than cast wheels. And also get some steel lugnuts.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Thanks for the responses guys!!!

Luckily the 'related thread' tool here is way better than a Google search and I have found many anecdotal stories of them being offset from the factory, which makes me feel a little better.

Still gonna check parts #s and get it aligned at West End, but now I know it might be a vagary of hand built 80's cars. Now I need to find someone to trade me a 18mm spacer for my driver's side 23mm!

Quick Reply: Rear Wheels Different Offset Position?