Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lateral play in shift lever

Old 05-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lateral play in shift lever

My car is a 968, but I got no response when I posted this on the 968 forum. This seems to be a more technically-oriented group, so I'm re-posting here:

The shift level used to bounce back smartly to the center position when I moved it side-to-side against the stops at either end of the 3|4 gear gate, while in neutral. Also, there was some resistance, as if by a spring, against moving the lever side to side from its natural center position when in neutral. Now, the resistance is pretty much gone, and I can easily move the lever side-to-side, and when I come to either of the stops, it barely moves back toward the center, and doesn't even make it all the way back to the center. These symptoms came on pretty suddenly, as opposed to gradually. It still shifts fine.

I took off the center console, and there is very little play in either the bushing, or in the connection between the shift lever and the shift rod. I checked the linkage at the transaxle, and likewise, everything feels solid. I put my hand on the linkage at the transaxle while my wife moved the gearshift lever side to side, and everything seems to be operating normally.

So, my symptom is strictly a loss of self-centering of the shift lever, which makes it harder to distinguish 1st gear from 3rd, which comes in handy in the heat of a track session. I can't see anything in the diagram in the PET (No. 701-00) that would explain the mechanism by which the gear lever should return it the center position, or anything that explains the absense of self-centering if it were broken or missing. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:18 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Check the M8 bolt that holds your intermediate shift lever for the joint rod at the rear of the transaxle. If this bolt is loose the shift linkage may be out of adjustable. The intermediate shift lever for the joint rod is where you adjustment the center and feel of the shift linkage. The bolt does come loose on these cars, especially if you track it. Ask me how I know. If you track your car consider having this bolt pinned and wired.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:20 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Uhm...., if I understand the second poster correctly....the bolt in question is different on a 968 than a 944/51 as it has no pointed end and indent locator.

To OP, clean and lubricate all hinge points of the shifter and rear linkage as road dirt, etc can build up over time....the self centering mechanism is part of the internal transmission components though.....in other words, if you remove the shift rod coming from the shifter at the transmission itself and have no self centering, problem is internal.

T
Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Uhm...., if I understand the second poster correctly....the bolt in question is different on a 968 than a 944/51 as it has no pointed end and indent locator.

To OP, clean and lubricate all hinge points of the shifter and rear linkage as road dirt, etc can build up over time....the self centering mechanism is part of the internal transmission components though.....in other words, if you remove the shift rod coming from the shifter at the transmission itself and have no self centering, problem is internal.

T
Or the bushings in the shift mechanism have finally given up the ghost. There is company that has a linkage upgrade that is pretty easy to put. I put it on my car and the shifting has never been crisper.

Sorry I cannot remember the company name but you should be able to find it by searching for short shift kit.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:29 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Or the bushings in the shift mechanism have finally given up the ghost. There is company that has a linkage upgrade that is pretty easy to put. I put it on my car and the shifting has never been crisper.

Sorry I cannot remember the company name but you should be able to find it by searching for short shift kit.
Could be only944?

I have his shifter and linkage arm and they are great pieces. Took a lot of play out of my sloppy shifter. I will get his short shifter next to complete it.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328

You could be right....., what I should have said was "lever" being off.

With nothing but the shift shaft, it should plunge in and retract to center and do the same when pulled out and released.

Reason I mentioned debris/road, I've seen a big clod of race tire rubber stuck in the pivot.

Your avatar.....must be an old one. That TS next to you on grid belonged to Ken LaBrode and was totalled out several years ago.

T
Old 05-08-2016, 02:25 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
You could be right....., what I should have said was "lever" being off.

With nothing but the shift shaft, it should plunge in and retract to center and do the same when pulled out and released.

Reason I mentioned debris/road, I've seen a big clod of race tire rubber stuck in the pivot.

Your avatar.....must be an old one. That TS next to you on grid belonged to Ken LaBrode and was totalled out several years ago.

T

I leave the avatar to remind me what it used to look like.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:42 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what happened in my 968. It's now pinned and wired - but am considering replacing with this: http://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/images/3...sion-Shift.jpg

I have a short shift up front - out now - waiting for Wavetrack LSD - on backorder but should be in early next week, then reassembling with taller gearing.

Originally Posted by bw993
Check the M8 bolt that holds your intermediate shift lever for the joint rod at the rear of the transaxle. If this bolt is loose the shift linkage may be out of adjustable. The intermediate shift lever for the joint rod is where you adjustment the center and feel of the shift linkage. The bolt does come loose on these cars, especially if you track it. Ask me how I know. If you track your car consider having this bolt pinned and wired.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lateral play in shift lever