Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally no more exhaust/engine smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:14 PM
951blur
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally no more exhaust/engine smell

So for the past month I have been trying to get the exhaust / engine fuel smell from coming inside the car. The smell would not only make me feel sick and cough but it would soak my clothes in a horrible stench. So in order to remove this problem I replaced the hood seal, I replaced the hatch seal this decreased the problem by about 50%. I pick these up from Kyle with only944.com.
Once those were fixed I could smell fumes coming from the shifter and hot air was blowing on my hand and I realize there was no rubber shift boot sealing the shifter. Some of you are probably wondering how that was possible well when I bought the car it came with a Momo shift **** and a Lindsey racing short shifter. So I put the rubber boot in and new oem style shifter, shift **** and boot that helped by about 25% and the last thing that really helped dramatically was the tail light seals I picked up from 944 online. These were by far the cheapest out of all of those, but not only is the car quieter at highway speeds there is 0 exhaust fumes coming into the car now. Wife is happy
Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

if you were smelling exhaust fumes in the cabin it would indicate there was a leak in the exhaust system in the engine bay. I had some leaks in my header gaskets which caused the same symptoms as yours. I would check for any leaks in the headers / x-over pipe / wastegate pipe those are notorious for leaks or cracks.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:36 PM
951blur
Advanced

Yeah a couple of the donuts that were in the crossover pipes and the exhaust below needed to be replaced and I did that when we were putting the engine back in. But so far no header leaks or crossover leaks.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have similar experience - the hatch and firewall hood seals each helped. Shift boot checks out.

I just need to replace the tail-light seals (have parts) and I'm expecting that to solve this once and for all.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Great information - thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:32 AM
951blur
Advanced

Yeah no problem guys. Glad this is behind me. Now that I can enjoy the car. I dialed in the M-Tune today 11.7 at full boost. First 3 gears are useless!

Quick Reply: Finally no more exhaust/engine smell