Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennbay / Air Fuel Gauge and Clock Replacement / Weekend Sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Diver944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great Travis, I can see it now, how thoughtful of Dr Porsche for us Brits. It looks like I can just unscrew that plug and put the O2 straight in.

When the gauge is in use do all the lights illuminate starting from the left (as in the animated gif) or does just the one light illuminate depending which voltage the O2 is currently reading?

I've also just noticed that the furthest right LED is rated at 12.5:1, Surely this means that it will only measure if I am lean.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Diver944
Pro

Now I realise I can fit it , I am suddenly full of questions. Sorry, but buying from overseas its always best to clarify things before ordering and then being disappointed.

The question is, do I have to dismantle the clock and fit a circuit board or is this a straight replacement for the whole clock unit?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The far right is rich (more fuel) 12.5air to every 1 fuel.
The whole bar lights up and not just a single point. It can be changed over to single dot mode by cutting a jumper wire on board if you wish.
On the first picture on the sale page shows what comes out of the clock casing. The plastic case the clock sits in gets taken apart, the clock circuit (seen in the picture) gets taken out and the new board snaps right in.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:46 PM
87uk944t
Racer

what exactly is PET? any chance of posting the pic showing exactly where the o2 sensor will be located?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:32 AM
Diver944
Pro

Hi Graeme,

PET is the Porsche Parts CD that the dealer uses to list part numbers and prices, it has some useful diagrams on there, but I can't copy any of them.

I have a 1998 version that someone burned for me but I don't have a CD burner myself. Join the UK www.titanic.co.uk/944 mal list and someone can help if you ask.

The plug for the O2 sensor is on the crossover pipe as it starts to turn up towards the turbocharger. It's about 6 inches from the wastegate.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:18 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Helpful hint here, guys... PET is copyrighted software that Porsche owns and is rather protective of. No flame intended, but please don't talk about burning Porsche software here, as it can only cause John D hassles if the fine folks at Porsche should be wathcing.

The description provided by Paul should get the job done for you, just crawl under your car by the wastegate and you will find it.

Regards,
Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 PM
87uk944t
Racer

i just bought a porsche parts cd off of ebay, so hopefully i will be able to find the relevant drawings myself in a few days
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the sale was a success.
Everyone who ordered this weekend your gauges (and other products) shipped out today. I am sure everyone will be extremely happy with the quality and performance of the new product. Included in your package is basic installation instructions but if anyone needs a little more help please email me.
The standard pricing and gauge is now available on www.rennbay.com for anyone who missed the sale. We will soon be offering more options including a split color screen and different voltage ranges. Voltage ranges to come will be a 0v to 5v setup for reading your wide band O2 sensor outputs and a .70v to .95v for full throttle tuning. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me. We have basic boards pre made ready for any modifications you can come up with.

Graeme-
If you dont get your CD in time just email me and I will give you a hand.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:20 AM
TurboTim
Banned

The O2 sensor is about 30" from the wastegate on a 951.There is a fitting next to the wastegate to test the CO readings of the motor but it is way to small for an O2 sensor and the oil pan would get in the way on top of that.The O2 sensor is located about 6" from the turbo hotside.If you have a turbo then you have an O2 sensor already and you can just tap off of the exisitng signal wire for your gauge, right at the DME.If I remeber correctly it is terminal 23.There is no need to weld in a seperate bung for another narrow band sensor. Now if you are upgrading to a wide band O2 then it would be worth it to weld in another bung.For the N/A cars that dont have an O2 sensor.....you can have the bung welded right behind the collector of the catpipe.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:46 AM
Diver944
Pro

Hmmmmm, I had seen an online guide that advised tapping in to pin 24 here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~dmsims/944t/fuelair.htm

but I just assumed that was only for cars with a cat-pipe as standard. What your saying is that all 951's will have an O2 regardless of whether it has a cat convertor so that the DME knows the AFR? If this is true you have just made my job a whole lot easier.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:47 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone is selling their working clock, I need one... let me know price etc...

Andrew
Old 10-15-2003, 09:12 AM
87uk944t
Racer

Thanks travis, have now got the pet cd and have managed to have a look at the drawings, TurboTim are we now saying that we do not need to install an o2 sensor in our uk spec 944 turbos? by the way my sfr stage 2 turbo is getting fitted just now unfortunately i put my car off the road for winter and wont now get a chance to drive it properly until April next year!! i cant wait!!

Quick Reply: Rennbay / Air Fuel Gauge and Clock Replacement / Weekend Sale