Speedometer erratically kicks-in at 20 Mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 PM
bald_joint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer erratically kicks-in at 20 Mph

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my speedometer which sometimes stays at 0 Mph when at accelerate, but kicks-in around 20 - 30 Mph, mostly after hitting a small bump on the road.

It's happening more often when i start using the car and then, become random while driving around, so its hard to find a pattern.

My odometer just completely stop working last summer, but I think these are not directly related.

SO, before buying a new speedometer sensor to see if it resolve the problem (944-606-210-00-M100), does anyone of you ever had this situation?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

These speedometers do that as they get old and when they aren't used much. Driving the car more does help, are a tiny bit of graphite power to lubricate the needle post (after pulling it out of the dash of course). It's probably not the sensor. The odometer is probably a broken plastic gear. You can get replacement gears and find the replacement procedure searching here.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:15 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Tom, is it possible to get the cluster out around the steering wheel on an '89 to do that stuff?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by PEvans
Tom, is it possible to get the cluster out around the steering wheel on an '89 to do that stuff?
I've read about people squeezing them out without removing the steering wheel, but I've never done it and would worry about scratching and damaging parts that way. Clarks has instructions for pulling an airbag wheel I believe, but can understand being reluctant to mess with 27 year old explosives
Old 04-09-2016, 03:19 PM
kevinr1247
Instructor

On my '87 911 I had a similar problem in that the speedometer would stay on 0 then when I got to about 20mph it would jump up. Same thing decelerating. I'd hit about 20mph and the needle would drop.

The solution was to clean a connection underneath a panel between the seats and the connections behind the speedometer. Once I did that the problem was solved.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:03 PM
fiily
Pro

I have an 88 with airbags, you can finagle the gauge cluster out without removing the steering wheel.

Clean all of the connections on the ribbon once its out, and verify all of your lights/warning lights/start lights work and if they don't replace the bulbs as needed.

Also, if your gauge lighting is sub-par, you can freshen up the brightness with a DIY someone on rennlist/pelican did, it involves installing new reflective tape. It makes a nice improvement for nighttime driving.

Quick Reply: Speedometer erratically kicks-in at 20 Mph