Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

reduced boost after new FPR install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Signalmtb
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: I installed a new 3.0bar FPR and running rich problem immediately came back. First start up I noticed more smoke. Drove it about twice, and on the third start up, it was missing/sputtering/black back fire. Put the 2.5bar back in and pulled the spark plugs. Plugs were brand new before the 3.0FPR and are totally fouled. Cleaning them now to see how it runs.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:30 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Signalmtb
UPDATE: I installed a new 3.0bar FPR and running rich problem immediately came back. First start up I noticed more smoke. Drove it about twice, and on the third start up, it was missing/sputtering/black back fire. Put the 2.5bar back in and pulled the spark plugs. Plugs were brand new before the 3.0FPR and are totally fouled. Cleaning them now to see how it runs.
Get a compression check kit from the auto store and test your cylinders.

Make absolutely sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

Fuel dampener working correctly?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:49 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

What all modifications from stock are done with this car?

You might want to bring it up one day and let's go through it.

Have you personally seen inside your DME to know it has an autothority chip?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Signalmtb
Banned

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower

hey man, would love to do that...I know VERY little about these cars and have 0 tools or readers for them. Never seen inside the DME, and would love to remove the autothority chips and put my stock ones back in...afraid of cracking it open though without knowing what I'm doing. If I can get it to run smoothly like before the 3.0 install, maybe I could take a drive up. You have a shop/garage enclosure?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

hey man, would love to do that...I know VERY little about these cars and have 0 tools or readers for them. Never seen inside the DME, and would love to remove the autothority chips and put my stock ones back in...afraid of cracking it open though without knowing what I'm doing. If I can get it to run smoothly like before the 3.0 install, maybe I could take a drive up. You have a shop/garage enclosure?
No shop or enclosure but what you are dealing with wouldn't need it.

You have a manual boost controller on this car?

I'm thinking you have stock chips.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Signalmtb
Banned

No shop or enclosure but what you are dealing with wouldn't need it.

You have a manual boost controller on this car?

I'm thinking you have stock chips.

no manual boost controller, and I do have the stock chips. no other mods except K&N drop in filter and aftermarket boost gauge which play no role here.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Default reduced boost after new FPR install

no manual boost controller, and I do have the stock chips. no other mods except K&N drop in filter and aftermarket boost gauge which play no role here.
2.5 bar should be on if you have stock chips. I was under the impression you had aftermarket chips.
Only with appropriate chips do you add the 3 bar.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Signalmtb
Banned

2.5 bar should be on if you have stock chips. I was under the impression you had aftermarket chips.
Only with appropriate chips do you add the 3 bar.

yes, I do have the autothority chips in, I just meant I have the stock chips to put back in (they're sitting in their case in the glove box) if needed. The car has been chipped for some time now, with a 3 bar. Running super rich. Installed a new 2.5 and leaned it out to spec (according to the shop). I installed a 3 bar because it is chipped but that screwed it up immediately.

So now, I'm back to the 2.5 bar, cleaned the plugs, and all is running fine again.

I don't know if the supercharged V8 F-type Coupe R Jag I drove just prior to this 951S ruined it for me, but man I had romanticized in my head a turbo S would have some brawn...I mean don't get me wrong, it's ok, it's fun to drive, it's relatively quick after 2nd gear and handles great, but the punch-in-the-gut-sit-you-back-in-the-seat just isn't there at stock setup. I hate to molest this pristine example of a silberosa 951S just to get 350hp to the wheels. But she needs something...
Old 04-21-2016, 04:26 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

yes, I do have the autothority chips in, I just meant I have the stock chips to put back in (they're sitting in their case in the glove box) if needed. The car has been chipped for some time now, with a 3 bar. Running super rich. Installed a new 2.5 and leaned it out to spec (according to the shop). I installed a 3 bar because it is chipped but that screwed it up immediately.

So now, I'm back to the 2.5 bar, cleaned the plugs, and all is running fine again.

I don't know if the supercharged V8 F-type Coupe R Jag I drove just prior to this 951S ruined it for me, but man I had romanticized in my head a turbo S would have some brawn...I mean don't get me wrong, it's ok, it's fun to drive, it's relatively quick after 2nd gear and handles great, but the punch-in-the-gut-sit-you-back-in-the-seat just isn't there at stock setup. I hate to molest this pristine example of a silberosa 951S just to get 350hp to the wheels. But she needs something...
Yeah you should bring it up and let's see what is doing. Can swap out parts and see what's happening.
We can also check pressure at the rail and see how much is actually going to the engine.
I doubt it's much. If the car runs perfect with the 2.5 then something you are telling me or that hasn't been told to you is off.

You started this thread speaking on low boost. Said the car ran the right boost with the fps to rich but with a 2.5 bar FPR if I'm not mistaken.

I had auto chips in one of my turbos when I first got it. It ran rich with just that. Had a 3 bar. Ran well but rich.
Was not as tuned as Josh's M-tune or Vitesse's.
Both of those run slightly rich on my cars as I have not tuned them but they both run strong.

Only time I fought with a right issue was due to hoses coming loose.

I'm guessing the issues is pretty simple as it usually is, at least in my case.

If it's complicated...... Then in guessing the chip was burnt for that car, the 2.5 and for the fps being in that position. That would be odd..... but not close to the strangest thing I've seen on these cars and I haven't been at this long.

Pressure at the rail would be a good start. Then watching what happens as it goes from 2.5 to the 3.0.

I've fought with certain things for weeks only to find a fuse was out I didn't put back. My guess is you are overlooking something. I'm saying that cause I do and have abs know what I'm looking at.

I can probably be of assistance but if you are absolutely dire shape you can keep driving up 24 to goodletsville and Todd wild probably have it fixed in 10 minutes. That's happened more times than I care to admit.
Either way we can make it happen. Just need to know what's actually happening then look for the cause. Pressure at the rail would be a good start.
I can put one of my DME's in with your chip and see if it still happens with the 3.Bar.

Quick Reply: reduced boost after new FPR install