Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally...Lindsey Exhaustand Fidanza FW review

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:10 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Finally...Lindsey Exhaustand Fidanza FW review

Some of you may remember that I've been having a nightmare with my clutch job. After all was put back together, it simple wouldn't start. No spark at the coil, etc. Six weeks my mechanic and I have been wrestling with this.

Turns out it was the Fidanza Flywheel. For whatever reason, the sensor pin wasn't the right depth and no amount of backing it out would make it the right depth. Ended up having to machine the sensor bracket a bit to get the sensor close enough.

But now it's all together and the only issues that remain are that it runs terribly when cold. Sputters, jumpy idle and wants to stall. Then it just becomes a rough jumpy idle and after it really gets warm it idles fine. A hint of a stumble once in a rare while. I did a quick search of the archives and didn't see anything but I'll look again. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas, feel free to drop me a PM. I suspect a vacuum leak someplace...

So to the parts review. I'll start with what's changed:

- Spec stg 2 clutch (all new bearings and wear items)
- Fidanza lightweight flywheel
- 3 inch Lindsey exhaust w/Flowmaster
- Widefire headgasket
- Belts, waterpump, etc.
- Bypassed CV valve (using a good old fashioned black **** MBC)
- fixed an exhaust leak (broken exhaust header stud on #2)

The end result is close to all good.

Throttle response is vastly improved coupled with a very noticeable increase in power. Particularly at low revs. Revs rise and fall more crisply than before. Very satisfying. I'm still breaking in the new clutch and generally taking it easy since the headgasket and belts are new, so I can't speak for the power increase everywhere, yet.

Boost builds much quicker and smoothly now. Part throttle applications result in very little lag and smooth power.

In the around town driving I've done so far, it feels not too different off the line from Oliver's S2 but with that deep well of power the turbo's have as the revs rise.

There is distinctly more oomph in the power band I've explored so far and I'm running less boost than I was before. I'm running 12 psi now instead of the 15psi I was before. I plan on hitting a dyno post clutch-break in to dial in the boost with a safe A/F ratio for the new setup. I don't know that it's necessary but it's not a bad idea.

The bad part is I think the flowmaster muffler has too much drone to it. It's got a great deep rumble but it's louder than I like. Approaching the midtown tunnel at my usual speed (20-30mph) ended up with me pulled over by the police for going too fast. Never mind the altima I was behind, the camry that was passing on the left and the civic that was behind me. I was going too fast. I attribute the unwanted attention directly to the exhaust. I'm of the "speak softly, carry a big stick" philosophy and this exhaust is not speaking softly. Alternatively, it's a great mean sound. I love the little pops and burble off throttle. I'm not crazy about the unfinished exhaust tip look either, but a can of flat black will take care of that.

There ya go. These are first impressions at best. I've only put fifty miles on the car so far.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good! Do you have any guesses which made the bigger difference, the 3" exhaust or that new clutch/flywheel combo? I'd guess exhaust, but I'm really curious about the flywheel.... there's probably a new clutch in my budget for the next year (not because I want to, but because I need to), and I've been eyeing that same spec package + lightweight flywheel...
Old 10-10-2003, 07:53 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahh nice!
Spec stage 3 + Fidanza flywheel is already on my (very long) wish list..
Old 10-10-2003, 10:46 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the flywheel is making the largest contribution right now. In situations where one isn't building any boost, the car is still noticeably more responsive. The biggest difference is off the line and when shifting. The car steps off very nicely and the revs drop much quicker now between shifts. This is with a lot of 3000rpm and lower driving.

When you get on it, that's when the 3" exhaust becomes a big contributor. The way power comes on sooner and smoother is very nice. Definitely more power. I'll have dyno results in a couple weeks to confirm. Boost is building significantly faster than before.

For now, my feeling is that the car is so much more enjoyable in stop and go driving now. Later I hope to discover what changes there are at WOT and hard driving.

Duke, I don't know if I'd go for the Stage 3. Depends on your intended usage. A 6 puck clutch, spring centered or not, will be more chattery than a disc clutch. For now, the clutch has distinguished itself for being inconspicuous.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:24 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Bypassing the CV also helps the boost build quicker, which is what I experienced (everything else is stock)...

Quick Reply: Finally...Lindsey Exhaustand Fidanza FW review