Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anybody with "GTS" "fixed" headlights, that actually light up the road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Anybody with "GTS" "fixed" headlights, that actually light up the road?

See lots of these fixed light conversions but have heard (from Duke in the past, and others) that the actual light output is ****.

Wondering how much of that is due to the sometimes-used sealed-beam lamps, or if the light shooting at the lip of the "header panel" is the real culprit.

Anybody out there have a setup that actually lights up the road? Do projector lights do any better than reflectors?
Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think projector HID's would do well behind the covers, the sealed beam style behind them seems like it would be way down on output vs the 7" H4 setup.

Want to buy that 7" HID xenarc setup i picked up a little while back? the Cibies are so good, i don't really feel like swapping them.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

PM me...
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
PM me...
Wait for Andreas to finish his project. They will have great output.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rx7's manage this so I'm sure we can.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

But they don't have the little "leg" of the nose panel that connects to the fender in the way.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:53 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hella 90mm - using Bi - Halogen for lows, and Halogen only for highs. Wired them so both are lit when on high beam. I have HID's on my Genesis, R - Spec, and Lexus. The Hella's are brighter. The Bi Halogen have similar light cut as HID's but not as sharp and brighter. The highs simply rock - and I could install even brighter bulbs. Really light up the roads - every 951 or any sports car owner always comments on these Hella's. The only lights I have on a vehicle that are brighter are the HID ARCO rescue lights on my off-road LX. But you can't use them on public roads - even daylight they ROCK - but they're designed for rescue helicopter type use.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images      
Old 04-02-2016, 01:24 PM
George D
Drifting

Default Hella lights

Battery was dead! Waiting on trans to be completed, taller gears 3rd through 6th. Wavetrac LSD, new bearings, hardened shaft and cyro hardened gears. Got very close to the OE 968 Turbo RS using Audi Euro diesel gears from their manual 8 series sedans. They also use the G50 boxes.

Pic of Hellas in a lit garage during the day.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2016, 12:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Thanks George, I had hoped you would chime in.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:31 PM
George D
Drifting

LED technology may have options, but I'm only currently a fan of LED lighting in my home, outdoors, office, etc.

Bulb technology with Halogen for automotive use is still my favorite for "legal" street driving. Offroading with top tier internal ballasted lighting is my choice.

HELLA 009998021 12V/65W 90mm Bi-Halogen High/Low Beam Headlamp Module. This is what I have lit when on low. They're about $130 per side, and you're already wired. My high beams are around $60 per side, but when I'm in high beam mode - the low Bi-Halogen also goes into high beam mode. My driving lights have very bright bulbs in the same color - manufacturer. I did update the factory wiring - these draw voltage - Shark cables and larger top manufactured wiring with inline fusing should be part of the install.

G
Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by George D
Hella 90mm - using Bi - Halogen for lows, and Halogen only for highs. Wired them so both are lit when on high beam. I have HID's on my Genesis, R - Spec, and Lexus. The Hella's are brighter. The Bi Halogen have similar light cut as HID's but not as sharp and brighter. The highs simply rock - and I could install even brighter bulbs. Really light up the roads - every 951 or any sports car owner always comments on these Hella's. The only lights I have on a vehicle that are brighter are the HID ARCO rescue lights on my off-road LX. But you can't use them on public roads - even daylight they ROCK - but they're designed for rescue helicopter type use.

Hope this helps.
Got a thread on your install of the lights? Where did the housing come from?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 PM
George D
Drifting

http://www.deutschnine.com/

Completely rebuilt their mounting brackets from scratch - and reinforced with laid up CF on lower side of housings to side mounts that now allow easy adjustment, and easy 180+ degree movement once lower bolts are removed.

A write up would be too time consuming - end result is how these should be delivered as a kit.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:04 PM
George D
Drifting

NUTS - bolts clear now without removal from now permanent placement. correction from post: "once lower bolts are removed."
Old 04-09-2016, 05:30 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by George D
http://www.deutschnine.com/

Completely rebuilt their mounting brackets from scratch - and reinforced with laid up CF on lower side of housings to side mounts that now allow easy adjustment, and easy 180+ degree movement once lower bolts are removed.

A write up would be too time consuming - end result is how these should be delivered as a kit.
And when will you be delivering it as a kit? lol
Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I have been trying to get GTS lights for a while now ;(

Quick Reply: Anybody with "GTS" "fixed" headlights, that actually light up the road?