Wide Band AFR

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Band AFR

http://www.zeitronix.com/

Last time I read about this company it was a narrow band they offered. Anyone tested their wide band sensor?

Bengt
Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a pretty good price. At $430 it's almost affordable!
Old 10-09-2003, 11:21 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Originally posted by Mike B
That's a pretty good price. At $430 it's almost affordable!
I agree. If I've read their ads correctly, you'd pay at least this much for a unit without the controller with Tech Edge, Lambdaboy, or Lindsey.

About the only downside (other than not knowing anything about the company that manufactures this product) is that it doesn't do datalogging (like the more expensive of the two Lambdaboy widebands for example).
Old 10-11-2003, 12:35 AM
gatorbait
Instructor

I came across this thread on Evolutionm.net (Mitsubishi) regarding the Zeitronix wideband 02 sensor:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread/t-24564.html

I also wrote to the company. They're primarily a tuner for DSM and their wideband sensor has been out for about a year. They warranty the controller for six months (no warranty for the O2 sensor). They are using the NTK L1H1 sensor, not the relatively inexpensive Bosch LSU4 O2 (which they may support in the future).

Again, cost of the controller, a/f meter, bung, and O2 sensor = $430

FYI
Old 10-11-2003, 06:56 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Is this good or no?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:47 AM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out http://www.plxdevices.com/. Prices starting at $300

They've got the cheapest I've seen. I found it a day after I sent my money to Techedge. It's a basic barebones unit, none of the fancy features like the TE. I would still buy the TE because these peoples display is very unattractive. It's priced great. If you don't need datalogging, it may be worth looking into.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:53 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

It's encouraging to see wideband prices drop. Perhaps with broader use of the less expensive Bosch LSU4 wideband O2 sensor, this will be a trend.

Integrating wideband data for use in MAF a/f tuning is even better still. I believe this is something that Vitesse is contemplating for use in his kits.

If you're reading this post John, will there be specific hardware requirements for integrating wideband data in your kits? In other words, will only certain makes of wideband 02 units work with piggyback software?

I assume that a 'bare bones' wideband unit (one that doesn't provide for datalogging) wouldn't work for what you have in mind.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:04 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Support to a wideband system is in the work. As long as you can get a 0-5v signal it should work. However more research/design/testing are still needed on my part...
Old 10-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link Stephen.

I'm wondering the advantage, or disadvantage, of the different sensors...the NTK L1H1/L2H2 and the Bosch LSU4/LSU4.2 other than the LSU4 is less expensive?

PLX states on their site:
All M-Series Controllers comes with two analog outputs, linear wideband and narrowband. Our linear wideband output gives you the freedom to interface with a number of tuning devices, such as data loggers, piggy back fuel systems and stand alone engine management systems. With the narrowband output you are able to completely replace your stock narrowband sensor and "feed" our analog signal directly into your ECU. This eliminates the hassle of welding a second sensor bung on your down pipe. Your ECU will "think" that your narrowband sensor is still there while you're measuring wideband information at the same time!
Perhaps I'll email them and ask how data logging can be added.

EDIT: I emailed them asking about adding data logging. I'll post the reply.

Last edited by Mike B; 10-11-2003 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:04 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

I too am quite interested in how the data logging works.

John
Old 10-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

I can answer your question. The only way you can datalog is if you have a device in your car that has the ability to. In my case I've got Electromotive Tec3 EMS. I think the Vitesse SMT6 Piggy back and Guru's AFMLink Map conversion also have the abilitly to. Not sure about the others.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Stephen,
Are thinking of going with a wide band for your Tec3? I know Chris White has toyed with one.

It would be nice to have but once you set the car on the dyno I'm not sure how much I would use it. Though I would probably like to have one for data logging.

Alan C.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering the advantage, or disadvantage, of the different sensors...the NTK L1H1/L2H2 and the Bosch LSU4/LSU4.2 other than the LSU4 is less expensive?

The L1H1 is the best WB O2 sensor bar none. The LSU4 is a low cost WB that has been toted as the next generation of low cost replacement for the L1H1. There was a problem with the first production units and a recall was issued and some have speculated that his kept the price down on the LSU4 sensors. It will be interesting to see if the price of the LSU4 increase as was the case with the L1H1.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Alan, yes that's what I plan on doing. I'm just waiting on it to show up from austrialia. Hopefully by next weekend it and the SFR test pipe will be here and installed in the car.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:40 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

I don't wish to steal any of Mike B.'s thunder, but I also wrote to PLX Devices to inquire about their $300+ wideband. Their answers to my questions (which I hope are self-explanatory) are noted below:

"The M-300 will work in any vehicle that combusts gasoline. If you want
to completely replace your stock 4 wire narrowband oxygen sensor you can
do that with our setup by feeding the narrowband output signal directly
to your ECU.

The M-300 is not capable of data logging as a stand alone unit. But you
may use the linear wideband output signal to interface with equipment
that is capable of data logging.

We offer a 30 day warranty from the date of purchase. We're currently out of stock again until the end of October due to high demand. The best way to reserve one is to send us payment in advance. We'll ship you the unit as soon as we get them in. Oh and yes, the M-300 will put out a 0-5V signal."

So, although PLX's WB will not do datalogging, it will output to a device that does. It will also output a 0 to 5v signal which may make it compatible with Vitesse's future a/f piggyback software, when it comes to market. And, if I understand PLX correctly, welding an additional exhaust bung will not be necessary (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

FWIW, PLX also markets a $35 device which converts Autometer a/f gauges to read wideband data in linear mode: http://www.plxdevices.com/NB_WB_GaugeConv.htm

PLX also sells their discontinued wideband unit (M-200, still in stock) which uses the more expensive NTK WB 02 sensor for about $500. The significant price difference between their products is attributable to the cost of each sensor--Bosch sensor is $59, NTK sensor is $185.

Quick Reply: Wide Band AFR