Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tighter than a straightjacket

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tighter than a straightjacket

Pulled out my fan assembly to get easy access to the bad thermofan switch and visually inspect the area. D@mn that fan is a puzzle. Loosening the bolts on the oil cooler and removing the lower radiator hose (from the radiator end) is the answer - you still have to jigsaw it out but it will come. Going to go ahead and replace the radiator hoses as I don't want to be in there again any time soon. Also putting on the Lindsey kit to make it drain better.

Found someone's snap-on wrench somewhere in there that they gave up on... must have been from looooonggg time ago.

No real point in this post, except to say that like so many 951 tasks, what looks innocuous enough (Step 1: Remove Fan Assembly) never is. I'm thirsty now.

Translator:
1) Remove Fan Assembly - - - > "Saw off the branch you are sitting on"
2) Remove lower bolts from underneath the Turbo - - - > "Lean over backward (not forward) and kiss your own @ss"
Old 03-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd call that a big success given the pleasant surprise of a free quality tool. 9 outa 10 times the surprises are negative.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:11 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this 2 days ago and don't see the problem remove the black cooling manifold and you have easy access. I took out the radiator as well with out removing oil cooler hoses . Putting back the bigger wizard radiator was a different story though
Old 03-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tip on the fan assembly: pull it out and install it from the bottom. No problem.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm missing a 10mm snap on wrench....JK. Yep - always turns into a bigger deal!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 PM
KL0699
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm replacing my radiator with an aluminum one from Lindsey Racing using the instructions from Clark's Garagae (RIP, Clark). I'm with you RaleighBahn on the challenges of working on this area. The Porsche engineers have to be commended for the way they Tetrised all that stuff into that pointy nose. My current challenge is simply removing the connector from the thermofan switch... Four words from Clark "unplug the thermofan switch." Fifteen minutes later, I still can't get that simple task done. I was hoping to find some helpful hints in here, but maybe I'm the only one having such a problem. Back to work...
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 PM
KL0699
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, for the sake of posterity, and with apologies to Clark, the best way to remove the thermofan plug is to first remove the upper radiator hose completely. Then you can actually get your hand on the plug and pull it out. Now for the rest of the job...

Quick Reply: Tighter than a straightjacket