Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrads!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats! Sounds good!

I thought I was the only one who used shackles and eye-to-eyes slings for engine hoists
Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Thats awesome. Pretty quick build.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work Timm! Sounds great. The whole engine bay looks so clean!!

You should consider something like a gtx3071r. Especially having our steering racks on the otherside, doing the x-over pipe mod is more simple. Down pipe really isn't that hard either.
They don't spool up like stock, i'd say a little more lag, but you will have more boost before full boost. so a lot more response.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:24 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm over the moon that it seems to be working perfect so far.

Tim, yes the engine itself came together rather quickly. I have been working most days and nights on it for the last 2 weeks though. Before that there was a lot of waiting involved as almost all of the parts came from the US or Germany.

Funnily enough though, the part that took the longest was the cometic head gasket which I ordered locally. For the Aussie guys on here, I'd recommend that you never deal with the website 'Cometic Australia' (Serco is the Aussie distributor) as they are a bunch of incompetent lying d!ckheads.

Pauly, I would definitely be very interested in a turbo like that. I will have to decide between a bolt on hybrid like a vitesse or lindsey turbo (or get one made locally) or something a bit more custom. A GT3071 with the .63 rear housing could be ideal for me. The K26 / GT3071 hybrid that 034 Motorsports sells looks interesting. I wonder if it would be more or less bolt on with a garret gt to t3/t4 oil drain flange adapter and custom oil inlet, and some grinding on the engine mount? Or maybe I'll even go the full monty with a twin scroll crossover and a really nice turbo with everything made to suit. I guess what I decide to do will depend directly on whatever my budget is when the time comes.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't go with a twin scroll. I thought about it, There's a lot of work involved. Especially when garrett released their V-band twin scroll.
You need a whole twin xover serup with dual gates. or one big single gate divided.

No experience with the 034Motorsport turbo. Not sure any one with a 944 runs one.

I honestly would go with the TiAL turbine housings. As there's really not to much room there to begin with, The TiAL housings are fair amount smaller in size than the garrett ones. And v-band makes life easier.

Now it's just time to enjoy it again

P.s a good bolt in upgrade in the meantime would be a k27/6 if you come across a cheap one.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:51 AM
944crazy
Pro

Yes, the dual waste gates would complicate things, as well as add to the cost. I'm definitely attracted to the idea of making everything v-band like you have though. Getting all of those bolts undone is a pain. To make it a little easier I put in stainless studs and bolts everywhere with copper flashed nuts. All the bolt heads and nuts are either 14mm or 13mm AF as well, so it is a bit easier to get tools in place now.

But yeah, further upgrades are still pretty far off in the future...like you say, for now I just need to enjoy it for a while!
Old 08-09-2016, 02:05 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The twin scroll drives a lot better, I mean a lot better.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Originally Posted by thingo
The twin scroll drives a lot better, I mean a lot better.
I've posted this link on RL before and it appears this supports your statement

Bottom of the article the part on Turbocharged Applications, the last topic in the article.

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm
Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 AM
944crazy
Pro

Interesting little read there Gruhsy. I wonder if a twin scroll is very effective with just a new twin cross over pipe bolted to the factory headers, or if you really need equal length headers to get the full benefit?

Rod, did your first twin scroll set up have a custom manifold with equal length headers?
Old 08-10-2016, 09:54 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Looking outside of 944s, there are tons of aftermarket twin scroll headers for Japanese tuner cars that aren't equal length. The DSM community is a good example...they love twin scroll and it's been proven to help spool. Equal length would help, but you're still going to improve spool just by isolating the header channels - more effective scavenging and less reversion.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...system-design/
Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the stock headers, flange to flange they are pretty close to equal, we just had a custom crossover with the wastegates on the exhaust side. Worked really well. I will use a similar set up when I turbo my street 968CS.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:52 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

I think the thing to remember with this is that those are the ideal situations. It's not that things won't work just that if you are looking to squeeze everything possible out of an inline 4 this is your ideal setup. It does make sense....the physics of this design to me. Stock exhaust for us is set up in the 1 and 4 / 2 and 3 as we all know so we have that part. Just need to at twin scroll and equal length

67King wrote a good post talking about exhaust setup. I actually copy and pasted it to a word document. I like reading stuff like this, it's some good learning material. Never claiming to be an expert only an obsessed, fanatical hobbyest

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Interesting little read there Gruhsy. I wonder if a twin scroll is very effective with just a new twin cross over pipe bolted to the factory headers, or if you really need equal length headers to get the full benefit?

Rod, did your first twin scroll set up have a custom manifold with equal length headers?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:53 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

More pics More pics

Love your car!!!

Originally Posted by thingo
I used the stock headers, flange to flange they are pretty close to equal, we just had a custom crossover with the wastegates on the exhaust side. Worked really well. I will use a similar set up when I turbo my street 968CS.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:32 PM
944crazy
Pro

So last night I finally got to take her for a spin. The good news is that the engine feels great and doesn't seem to be making any bad noises.

The bad news is that I have a pretty bad oil leak, probably from the rear main seal, or maybe the oil galley plug at the back.

Anyway, she's back up on stands and next week I'll get started on taking the gearbox etc out to get to the back of the engine. I'm thinking I'll preemptively order an Elring seal as those seem to be the bees knees. I'll also try to get my hands on the Porsche tool to drive it in.

Quick Reply: Timm's 952 Build Thread