Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

993 Cup wheels with new tires FS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 11:56 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CanyonBlaster

For the track, your best bet is using the largest diameter tire you can.

Also, you're better off with a set of track tires on the rims.... like a nice set of Hoosiers :-) (the difference is night and day when using a basic track tire like a Hoosier to the best true street tire money can buy... the difference is that big. You'd be amazed.)

The 17" cup wheels are plenty strong for the track. I've got a pair of almost brand new, Hoosiers with only 3 laps on them.... They are 275/17". This is the tire you want to run on the track. I'd sell them for $375 + shipping. Then you'd put on a set of 225/17 matching hoosiers on the front, and you'd be shocked at the difference. Seriously.... the S02's suck compared to a real set of track tires.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 AM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TonyG
icat

While agree you can get the proper spacers, by the time you get done adding the longer wheel studs, and the proper spacers, you've added a few pounds of unsprung weight, which I don't like, and you could have purchased the proper used spindles/hubs front/rear for only a tad more, which is really the right way to do the job.

I'd certainly sell them to anybody that wants to pay for them, but I feel that it's in the buyers best intersted to use the correct offset wheel.
I do not disagree, however I think the advice is only relevant if someone is using the wheels for track use. I would NOT condone using spacers for track use (even though I'm sure you can find many examples of the opposite opinion). For street use the small gain in weight is negligible. The advantage of the superior strength of the Porsche alloys over the cheaper aftermarket rims far outweighs the use of spacers. In addition, the aftermarket rims are far heavier than the Porsche alloys, so any weight savings are eliminated. I will second your suggestion to upgrade to the later spindles - that is without argument the best way to go. Of course it is also the most expensive. Hope you sell them soon. Sounds like a very good deal on some nice rims.

Quick Reply: 993 Cup wheels with new tires FS