Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone tried home porting a Cyl Head?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

This is sort of "off topic" but I will ask anyway...

Regarding making a custom intake (since we are all cutting our intakes apart now... lol), the optimal design would longer, even length runners , with as big a plenum as possible, right? The longer runners should promote even swirling and velocity of the air, whereas the larger plenum just provides for a "bigger" source of air to draw from, right? Obviously, the bigger the plenum, the bigger the turbo needs to be to properly charge the plenum. Anyone got a math equation to figure that one out, or do I need to drag out my fluid dynamics books again?

The reason I ask is that when you look at Milledge/Lindsey/SFR/Huntley, their custom intakes usually feature fairly short runners. I would think this is counter-productive, at least from a theoretical perspective, but I don't question that they know a HECK of a lot more than I do about building "go fast" parts, and am wondering if this was just a space constraint design.

This does sort of stay on topic, as if you can match a bigger intake with a properly ported exhaust, then all things being equal, more air in/more exhaust out equals more power. The biggest key here would be in matching it, as a smaller, properly balanced system will produce more power than a bigger, unbalanced system in most cases.

Regards,
Old 10-08-2003, 11:55 AM
David Nichols
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short vs long runners

Short runners give you higher end. Long runners improve the mid and low end.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried home porting a Cyl Head?