Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

checking turbo bearing seals for a complete idiot

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Chris Moon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking turbo bearing seals for a complete idiot

I just changed plugs last week and all four had oil deposits on them. While I still plan to get the compression and leak down checks, I'd like to know what to look for on the turbo bearing seals.

So, with that in mind, can someone lead me through the steps to check these seals? Background information on the motor is that is was rebuilt 50K miles ago and the turbo is the original with 157K miles on the car. There's been some oil consumption, but it's been sporadic => some weeks more, some less. Lastly, if I'm burning up the oil, shouldn't I be seeing some blue in the exhaust, because I haven't seen any?

Thanks,
CM
Old 10-06-2003, 03:40 PM
DAR951
Pro

Default Re: checking turbo bearing seals for a complete idiot

Originally posted by Chris Moon
can someone lead me through the steps to check these seals? ... the turbo is the original with 157K miles
Don't worry about checking them, with that mileage they're done...

Even if they aren't, the work to un-bury the turbo just to take a look at it is enough (relative to stock re-build costs: $3-400) to easily justify a re-build... now, turbo upgrades and all that goes with them are another story...
Old 10-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Chris Moon
Advanced

Thanks, DAR951.

I'll have a local shop run the leak down this week or next, but I'm actually hoping it's the turbo seals since a turbo R&R is the only one of the three possibilities I can think of (rings, valves or turbo) that I'm willing to do myself.

As for turbo upgrades, I won't be starting down that path, yet. For the cost, I can think of too many other ways to drop lap times before I start adding power: stiffer springs (up from 250lbs in front already and 28mm bars in back), camber plates, triple adjustables, limited slip, more seat time ....

Thanks,
CM

Quick Reply: checking turbo bearing seals for a complete idiot