944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey??? Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003 | 12:42 PM
User 41221
Banned

Out of curiousity, how will it fail? Thats a great tidbit of info, as I was planning on using stainless steel bolts on mine, and wasn't aware that there would be an issue.

Regards,
Old 10-13-2003 | 10:34 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

It's due to a galvanic couple. The first thing that will happen is the free aluminum in the coating will sacrifice itself to protect the stainless. Next the iron/aluminum alloy layer will do the same. Finally the carbon steel will be sacrificial to the stainless.

If the bolts you plan to use are for the flanges go ahead. The mass of the flange will will save you. Also the flange will most likely be low carbon anyway. The flanges will be 1/4 to 5/16" thick where the pipe wall is probably in the range of 0.060". Lighter on the outside of the bend heavier on the inside. The light gauge of the pipe is the issue.

A few years back Ford used stainless bands to hold the heat shields on some of their mufflers. The stainless bands looked great but the muffler was sawed in half from corrosion under the band. Ford doesn't do that any more.

VW welded an aluminized low carbon steel muffler to a 304 pipe. The muffler failed at the weld on the carbon side. The 304 pipe was fine.

With the increased exposure to warranty issues and emissions the auto makers take a serious look at material selection in exhaust systems.

Alan C.
Old 10-13-2003 | 11:40 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Alan C.

With the increased exposure to warranty issues and emissions the auto makers take a serious look at material selection in exhaust systems.

Alan C.
And it's about time! Maybe there will be a job for me when I get out.

(hope I did this quotation thing correctly)
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Ben,
We had a couple of people from Ames in our research group. Good people.
Alan C.
Old 10-21-2003 | 07:12 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

I just installed the lindsey "mild steel' exhaust on my car.
This included a cat and flowmaster muffler. I got the jet hot coat option and it looks pretty swish. Hopefully this will extend its life also rust wise.
The only issues I have are with the exhaust hanger just downstream of the cat, can't quite get the exhaust up high enough to attach the bolts. This is because of the cat being pressed up against the heat shield. Also the exhaust tip is a bit long, extends beyond the rear bumper.
Sounds mean!

Quick Reply: Lindsey??? Exhaust???