Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dry sumping a 951 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Craig 88
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SLOTH
THE SUMP TANK ONLY HAD 4 QTS. OF OIL AND WAS STILL BLOWING OUT THE VENT. BROADFOOT SAID HE DID MY DRYSUMP WITH THE STOCK OIL PICKUP.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU... other than to turn off the caps and or quit yelling.

I do know that he has done several over the years and each one improves over the one before. I am pretty sure that my setups have a separate oil pump.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Any idea of how much a job like this costs?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A dry sump with a stock oil pick up?!?!
Not exactly state of the art. I have heard of Craig’s adventure with this motor but I didn’t hear that part before.
A proper dry sump set up is the way to go but its not cheap. I have been working up a design for a custom dry sump pan and I will be fabbing up the prototype this winter. It is a really tight fit but after you see how close the stock oil level is to the crank you will really understand rod bearing failures! Even medium braking will put the front of the crank under the sump oil level and create quite a bit of foaming in the oil. Foam is a pretty crappy lubricant!
For those interested just keep bugging me and I will let you know how the project is progressing.
BTW – the dry sump will be on a 16v 2.6 liter turbo motor.

Chris White www.944enhancement.com
Old 10-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh yeah, I should mention that I ended up with Craig’s old block from the “dry sump” motor (Now that I think of it we should rename that set up to “Damp Sump” since the stock pick up will never really clean up the sump!) – the block had been shaved enough that the new pistons stuck out by .014”! I measured this set up 20 different ways and it the block was way shorter than stock. I am not sure how it held together for the 10 hours Craig got out of it unless it had a “double head gasket” job.
Since I had already sleeved the engine I couldn’t just toss it out so I had some custom pistons machined up to work with the modified block. After 2 weekends the head gasket let go (3 piece full metal gasket with raceware studs!). I have yet to take it apart because I am just a tad annoyed with the engine but I suspect that the block has some other ‘interesting’ problems…..I should of tossed it out when I found out the block had been shaved that much!

Chris White
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52 PM
HansB
Pro

Not a whole lot of success stories here....
Old 10-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by HansB
Not a whole lot of success stories here....
Like I said... two dry sump systems on two very different 951's (3L turbo race motor & 2.5L turbo stock rebuild). No problems with either one of them as far as the dry sump system goes.

Quick Reply: Dry sumping a 951 engine