Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

tempe! :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 01:49 AM
vchon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tempe! :)

hello, i'm having problems w/ my '86 951 (again). just wondering if anyone in the tempe/asu region is willing to take a look. my coolant was leaking..?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:19 AM
threesticks
Advanced

Hello vchon: Could you be more specific as to where it is leaking from? My 951 was leaking from the heater valve and was dripping down on top of the bell housing on the back of the engine and not showing up on the ground. It took a while to find that one. Check all of your hose clamps and look at the water pump.

Where are you in Tempe? Is the car driveable? Maybe I could meet you someplace in the middle to look at your car early next week.

There is a place in Tempe not too far from ASU called Stutgart Southwest (check for spelling, its 5 AM here). Jack Doverspike and his crew are some of the best in the business.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Stuttgart is located within a mile or so of Technodyne.

Sam
Old 10-05-2003, 08:54 PM
vchon
Advanced

i'm currently a student at asu. i've been to technodyne, but is too pricey for my blood. i was trying to find some local guys that wanted to take a look for a few bucks.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeremy Himsel helped me out with mine when I was really new to these cars and learning about them - he has 944-wrenching get-togethers at his house pretty regular from what I hear. He's in north Phoenix though, about 45min drive for you, over an hour for me, but he knows quite a bit about the cars and it's free, plus you get to learn more about the car.

Sam
Old 10-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Jeremy was talking about a t-belt day soon. My A/C clutch came loose on the track today, so I've got that to fix too.
v-chon, where's the leak? I was worried I had a coolant leak, when I made a puddle on a hot day. It turned out to be from the overflow hose located near the front of the coolant reservoir, so it wasn't bad. I did the same thing today at the track.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:05 AM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

where is the leak coming from?

Can you clean it off work your way through the cooling system and try to isolate it?
Its common for older factory hoses to split and get pin holes. There is also dye you can buy that show where a leak is when added into your system.

which side of the car does it leak from? Is it near the large tube going into the engine over the thermostat housing? or maybe the smaller tube above that?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:17 PM
vchon
Advanced

hi again, the leak is coming from towards the front. i can't tell exactly, but i'm pretty sure it's towards the front. also, my car has a really hard time starting after it started to leak. any ideas?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:29 AM
951Badger
Racer

Originally posted by Sam Lin
Stuttgart is located within a mile or so of Technodyne.

Sam
Actually Stuttgart is about a 2 minute walk from Technodyne.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:49 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure it's coolant? That shouldn't effect the car starting, it would just get hotter faster.
Show up at the PCA autoX this weekend (Saturday and Sunday at Phx Muni stadium). Lots of us PCAers will be there. You might not want to compete if you're having problems, but there will be lots of people there who can help.

Quick Reply: tempe! :)