Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sway Bar Stiffeners

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:06 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These reports of bent triangulated drop links sound strange to me. I've had these installed on my 968 autocross car using full delrin front bushings for several years and had no problems. When they bend, I wonder if a potential cause is how the front SB is installed since technically it shouldn't be preloaded, however this is difficult to achieve in practice (unlike the rear SB) since the front wheels are removed for easier access to the outer mounts at each control arm, hence the car is up in the air and presumably on lift or stands. When the car is brought down again, the links are likely prestressed which only becomes worse with high suspension loading.

It's also possible that the stiffeners and delrin work well with factory bars like m030 but expose poor articulation with aftermarket bars. I'm increasingly suspect of all the aftermarket junk which is designed to just barely fit and perform to a standard that's just 'good enough' (not to mention marketing maxims of bigger = better, stiffer = better).
Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm of the opinion that it is critical to make sure the sway bar is not binding in the mounts too. When installing the Tarrett bar, it is really easy to torque down the inner mounts so the sway bar is being slightly bent. If there is a bending load on the bar, then it binds in the bushings and I could see that easily bending the mounts with loading of the suspension.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
It's also possible that the stiffeners and delrin work well with factory bars like m030 but expose poor articulation with aftermarket bars. I'm increasingly suspect of all the aftermarket junk which is designed to just barely fit and perform to a standard that's just 'good enough' (not to mention marketing maxims of bigger = better, stiffer = better).
I'm running the 968 mo30 sways, so this isn't the problem for me. Also to be clear I do track the car and am sure it was the track driving, not street, that bent them. I would imagine that it's possible to generate greater force on the SBs with traking driving than in any autoX i've ever done, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by JustinL
I'm of the opinion that it is critical to make sure the sway bar is not binding in the mounts too. When installing the Tarrett bar, it is really easy to torque down the inner mounts so the sway bar is being slightly bent. If there is a bending load on the bar, then it binds in the bushings and I could see that easily bending the mounts with loading of the suspension.
At first I had the stiffeners with no problems. Then, because PS leak destroyed the rubber bushing, I added inner delrin, but they made lots of noise, because I didn't know it was a good idea to put lube in them. Even though they were binding some they didn't bend then. When I put lube in the inner delrin, I also installed the outer and top of the drop link in delrin. I didn't get any noise after that, but after that is when they bent.

At this point I've left the bent ones on. I figure it's stiffer than without them and I'm probably stiff enough for my use.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought factory 30mm 968 M030 bushings from Ian off of eBay. The inside ones have some kind of fiberglass reinforcement on the inside because there so thin I'm guessing. I have yet to test them out on the road. But they are high quality. Is the car with the bent supports lowered without using longer spindle pins to keep the control arm in the stock angle?
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car isn't lowered. If I ever upgrade the springs I will try a new support bracket. Until then I'm just writing it off as too much stiffening of the SB without other suspension upgrades.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Stiffeners