Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Chances of oil filter housing gasket leaking oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chances of oil filter housing gasket leaking oil?

Bloody engine is still leaking oil.

Done the balance shaft housing again and seals
Done the oil pump seals (as in removed and new loctite 574)

there's still oil coming from behind the PS pump, just makes its way down from somewhere high. hard to tell exactly where.

So i have a feeling it's something on the oil filter housing.
I dont exactly want to change the gasket as draining the coolant is a PITA and makes a huge mess. Don't mind draining the oil as its easy to contain.

So what are the chances that the main gasket is leaking.
I'm hoping it's one of the bolts on it. (its not the OPRV big screw thing)
Old 01-13-2016, 02:33 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The sealing grove where the o-ring sets on the balance shaft front bearing housing may be pitted creating small leaks under pressure. Or tore a tinny chunk of rubber off of the o-ring on install. You did replace all the sleeves, clear seals and put the ballance shaft seals in the right spot right? Just asking I'm under the impression you know these engines. But I'm inclined to ask. Or the oil filter is loose by accident, I've been a self inflicted victim of that myself. I like to use a little bit of grey rtv sealant around the inside of the ballance shaft front housing sealing o-ring grove before I install the seal in the groove and then a tinny bit extra grey rtv where the balance shaft cover seams meet but not on the sealing serf ace of the balance shaft cover that has the locktite 574 on it.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I dont think it's the o-ring. I have a new one in, and a new clear plastic oring on the shaft too. I also have a new sleeve and seal in a box, but it's not leaking from there so i didn't swap them. The housing is all installed correctly.
I dont like using glue on orings as it makes it a mess afterwards if ever needing to replace. But i think the magnitude of the leak wouldn't be coming from the oring. Seems to much oil for that spot.

I let it idle for 5 mins and it'll appear. after a 5 min drive it'll leave a couple of drops on the floor. But it comes from behind the PS pump. runs down the whole PS pump bracket. it's hard to track where it's from above that. It does seem like that o-ring but i dont think so.

I'll get a photo later. I should have done that earlier. Was just to hot (42°c) today so we packed up early. Might pass later to get a photo.

Might have to see if i can get my gopro in there somehow and see what i can see as its impossible to see
Old 01-13-2016, 04:20 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Is it engine oil or P/S fluid?
Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

engine 100%
Old 01-13-2016, 05:24 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

If you think it's the o-ring then chances are it probably is. It might have gotten pinched on install. If you would remove the P/S pump for a visual inspection and use oil dye and a uv light to see the die glow, I would think that would help track down the leak.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
If you think it's the o-ring then chances are it probably is. It might have gotten pinched on install. If you would remove the P/S pump for a visual inspection and use oil dye and a uv light to see the die glow, I would think that would help track down the leak.
Been thinking the same to remove the oil pump out of the way. I dont think it's that much in the way, i'll have a look tomorrow.

The o-ring slid in quite nice, it was oiled up so it doesn't get pinched. the o-ring has been changed twice in a week. when first doing the balance shaft seals, we just did the housing and replaced the o-ring from one we had laying around. There still was a leak and that oring was tighter than the factory one. That's when we thought it may have been the o-ring so i bought another oem one and put that in. same leak.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:49 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Oil leaks can be difficult to locate! An easy, cheap, low tech way to find the source:

1. Clean the entire suspect area with Brake Clean or similar.
2. Dust the area with Baby Powder (squeezing the container will give nice puffs of powder). A light dusting is all that's needed.
3. The source of the leak will quickly become obvious.

Avoids lots of frustration and time.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks Michael. that's an interesting method. I was planning on getting brake cleaner tomorrow morning also to clean the whole are and try to look for the leak. but using the powder just seems so straight forward.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

After all you just did, I'd second the idea that you put all energy into finding the source of the leak before replacing more gaskets. Baby powder is an interesting idea, if a bit messy? Those florescent tracers work ok. I usually just clean like crazy and watch like a hawk, especially of the leak appears so quickly. Maybe pull the PS pump and run the motor without it if you can't see the source otherwise? Take a close look at the oil cooler hoses that attach to the oil filter console. The ends are crimped on and can leak when the rubber gets old and hard. The main console gasket can leak too, especially if it has the old original style non-integrated gasket, but it so you should be able to pinpoint that before pulling it off.

Also... check the oil sender. I've seen those leak too...
Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

So back under the car. looked for the leak. (hard to get photo as to many things in the way)

i have to let the car warm up before it leaks. maybe 5 mins of idle before any leak is visible.

It looked like coming from the balance shaft o-ring. so i took it off and it didn't seem like it was from there. o-ring looked good, no pinch marks or anything. So this time i put grey RTV gasket glue around the o-ring and bolted it back up.

I see oil around the oil pump loctite. not much but you can see the oil.
It also looks to be coming from the oil galley plug. (can't really be 100% though)
I remember during the rebuild we removed the front one, and replaced it with a new one, but it was to small, so we opened the original one and loctite it back in.

That wouldn't be a problem to fix as i have a spare water pump gasket.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:29 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

After thinking about it. Il put the timing belt on and alternator belt on. Leave the power steering pump and the balance shaft belt off. Leave all the covers of. Start the car and let it idle until I see any oil drippung out.
Would be easy to use the powder method too as I can actually see the oil.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

MM is dating himself....

Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember "tracing powder" too.

It even used to come in a spray can.

Before leak detector dye, this used to be THE go to method of finding oil leaks.

Prices oil the leak detector tools have come way down....everybody that works on cars should have one. NAPA keeps the dye with oil viscosity in stock.

Hey...., with age comes wisdom....most everybody has baby powder in the house....

T
Old 02-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pauly,

Any update on this leak? I have a similar oil leak in this area, combined with a slight coolant leak. The coolant leak I am 99% certain is from the filter console gasket. I'm going to replace this gasket, and I'm hoping that this may solve the oil leak too.

Roger
Old 02-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Chip Gregg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to have the exact same leak, I just haven't had time to track it down

Quick Reply: Chances of oil filter housing gasket leaking oil?