Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Yellow 951 pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003 | 10:26 AM
Asarus
Pro

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
What about the legendary "silberrosa" color? I thought that was a factory finish for some of the Cup cars.
You're talking about Turbo S (SE in UK) cars.. the street limited edition 951 with 250 hp....

I'm talking about the track 944 Turbo Cup engaged in the 944 Turbo Cup championnship... and no silberrossa colors for these cars
Old 09-30-2003 | 10:29 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Maybe the Turbo Cup badge was optional on the Turbo S cars? I just saw a 951 being serviced at my local dealer in the silberrosa finish with the telltale psychodelic plaid interior and a "Turbo Cup" badge on the rear panel. I know the owner, and the car is stock.
Old 09-30-2003 | 10:38 AM
Asarus
Pro

To my knowledge, here is info on this "street turbo s", it was produced at 1635 units in 1988 only (ZJN chassis number) :

* in UK : name is 944 Turbo SE
* in France: name is 944 Turbo Cup (for me it's an abuse !)
* anywhere else : name is 944 Turbo S (incl. germany)

They were 104 units produced for France, this is the only market were the car is called Turbo Cup and has a Cup badge at the rear of the car (after Turbo) and an other one on top of the glove box. Btw, it shoud also have yellow fog lenses as that was the rule in France in these years...

Just keep in mind that Turbo S (the best name to use to avoid confusion) have really not the same equipment as dedicated race car like 944 Turbo Cup (the real one). The Turbo S is a great car but made for street with a lot of equipments (AC, power steering, electric seats, etc, etc...)
The real Turbo Cup is made for track (no ac, no power steering, light and fast..)

2 differents cars... not the same usage...
Old 09-30-2003 | 10:51 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Asarus
* in France: name is 944 Turbo Cup (for me it's an abuse !)
* anywhere else : name is 944 Turbo S (incl. germany)
The car I saw has the street equipment you describe but the "Turbo Cup" badge. Originally it also came with a Lexan windshield. Apparently the few cars that were built for the Spanish market had the same designation as in France.

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't understand why a race car would have power windows!
Old 09-30-2003 | 10:56 AM
Asarus
Pro

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
The car I saw has the street equipment you describe but the "Turbo Cup" badge. Originally it also came with a Lexan windshield. Apparently the few cars that were built for the Spanish market had the same designation as in France.

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't understand why a race car would have power windows!
I don't know for the spanish market... as you say, that might be the same than for France... (not sure anyway)

I never heard about a Lexan windshield... i strongly guess it's not an oem spec...
More over this kind of windshield cannot be street legal (in France at least)

Don't worry, my Turbo Cup doesn't have power windows...
Old 09-30-2003 | 11:03 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Maybe not Lexan per se, but when the owner had it replaced, they told him it was not the stock glass unit. He had the car from new and the original windshield scratched easily. Does yours?
Old 09-30-2003 | 11:12 AM
Asarus
Pro

The stock windshield for Turbo Cup (track) car is apparently a little lighter than the street version. Due to the race constraints, it has more chance to be scratched than on a street use...

Here is a track Cup car windshield...

Old 09-30-2003 | 11:17 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Asarus, I think this is a Lexan (glass plastic material) windshield.

AKS986, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry! Did you see the pics of the yellow 951 in the "Series Nine Chronicles" link? It's also a pretty amazing story.
Old 09-30-2003 | 04:33 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

yellow
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2003 | 04:53 PM
Nocturnal_Breed
Instructor

Exclamation

just wondering someone said about the flush mounting hood pins on the turbo cup cars vs the old hot rod style pins. anyone know where i can get a set of these does porsche still stock the? anyone know apart number? asarus u are probally the expert here so if you have any idea please let me know. thanks
Old 09-30-2003 | 05:08 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

just wondering someone said about the flush mounting hood pins on the turbo cup cars vs the old hot rod style pins. anyone know where i can get a set of these does porsche still stock the? anyone know apart number?
I suppose they are more or less so called "DZUS Screws" mainly used by air planes. Should be available from most speedshops
Old 10-01-2003 | 04:24 AM
Asarus
Pro

Originally posted by Nocturnal_Breed
just wondering someone said about the flush mounting hood pins on the turbo cup cars vs the old hot rod style pins. anyone know where i can get a set of these does porsche still stock the? anyone know apart number? asarus u are probally the expert here so if you have any idea please let me know. thanks
Are you talking about this part ?

Old 10-01-2003 | 04:30 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

That is not Dzus screw !
Old 10-01-2003 | 05:37 AM
Asarus
Pro

Originally posted by Olli Snellman
That is not Dzus screw !
Don't know the english name but this is the stock hood pins for race 944 Turbo Cup

No longer available from Porsche... i tried to get a spare set for more than 4 months without any success...

I think this might be available from an other source (maybe air planes shops as suggested) but i don't know where..

If someone can tell me where to find a spare set, i'd be very happy
Old 10-01-2003 | 06:53 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Asarus,
can you show us a picture of that pin ???
I suppose very similar can be found from Dzus

btw have you ever though to make an english version of you WEB pages??
My collage French sucks !

Quick Reply: Yellow 951 pics