Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing regulator housing gasket --- drain coolant or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015 | 02:00 PM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Default Replacing regulator housing gasket --- drain coolant or no?

Hi all,

Trying to replace my regulator housing gasket (#22 on the diagram)...

.. while I am removing the cycling valve and its bracket which is held in by the same bolts as the little hose adapter for the coolant shown below...

All of this is due to going straight to a boost controller set up and doing all kinds of other vacuum line delete, etc.

Question is --- I started loosening the bolts for what to me at the time simply seemed the cycling valve holder, and coolant started to seep through the gasket. I immediately tightened them as I didn't want a large coolant spill. Do I need to drain the coolant to do this work, or - can I just put a towel under that area and catch any coolant that may leak out if in a small amount?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 11-22-2015 | 02:42 PM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Well,

I took it upon myself to disconnect those two bolts and pull them out --- placing a large amount of towels for spillage. I slowly pulled back that metal pipe/fitting away from the block and the coolant began to flow. I replaced the towels several times after they got soaked but the coolant seems to keep coming. I put the bolts in and tightened them up. Do you guys know how much coolant would ultimately flow out of there? I have no problem going bit by bit and replacing the towels soaked with coolant.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-22-2015 | 02:51 PM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Found a much better depiction of what I am removing:

--- the two red dotted bolts and that whole assembly is coming off to replace the gasket.
Old 11-24-2015 | 12:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sempaipaul
Found a much better depiction of what I am removing:

--- the two red dotted bolts and that whole assembly is coming off to replace the gasket.
I recognize that picture.

Gravity will drain the coolant until it's level with that port in the head, so probably less than a quart or so. Why not drain it? That's got to be easier than mopping up coolant, and you don't want to spill coolant into the clutch! Either way, be sure to bleed when you refill the coolant.

Beware that those two red bolts are too long if you remove the cycling valve bracket. They will bottom out and the gasket will leak. Just find bolts that are 5mm shorter at a local hardware store if you remove the bracket.

Quick Reply: Replacing regulator housing gasket --- drain coolant or no?